Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Roof Racks

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 04:53 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Roof Racks

Two things;

1) There is another thread on Roof Rails, you might want to check that one out.

2) If you only ordered your car two or three days ago you have plenty of time to change your order. It takes a few weeks to manufacture a car, and even if they were able to just modify one already in production, the roof rails would be the last thing they put on. Your salesman should be able to change this no problem. If you look at the roof rail thread, you will find the price for chrome rails is $500. Call him (or her) up!At least give it a shot.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

Agreed; if the car is in B status, you can still add the rails. The rail order code is not on the order form- you have to call the regional manager, or corporate in Michigan to get it. I added roof rails about 2 weeks after I ordered the car, when I finally got the code.
I'll dig out my window sticker tonight- the code for silver rails should be on it. Black rails are SPO CS2.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:34 AM
1st Gear

here's a great thread about racks....Roof racks

i posted side by side comparisons of the oem audi and thule aero bars towards the end of page 4. both are made quite well and use a channel system for attachments. heightwise, both are the same and both allow you to fully open the open sky without any problems. the thule aero bars do have a lower profile. this makes a noticable difference in noise at highway speeds.

installation on the audi bars was easier. the bars are permaently locked at a set width for the A3 where as the thule system needs to be adjusted to a specified width. once you get that locked in, it only takes about 10 minutes to install. its easy enough for me to mount during the winter for snowboarding and uninstall during the summer.

the channel system makes it easy to put on and take off any attachments. i usually leave the snowboard attachments off to save on gas. i only carry boards on the roof when i have to carry passengers too or if the boards are wet and dirty after snowboarding. it only takes about 2 minutes to throw on the attachments.

a couple of things to consider...the feet on the oem audi bars are bare metal and can potentially scratch your car while installing/uninstalling. I've got a couple of scratches on my door frames. the thule feet are rubber coated and won't scratch anything. also, myself and other people had problems with the end caps on the oem audi bars not staying flipping open at highway speeds. and the oem audi bars don't offer any kind of a key/lock to prevent theft like the thule setup.

in the end, i went with the thule set up. i was pretty bummed when i saw scratches from the audi bars on my door frames.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear

I was one of the first people to have the Thule roofrack on an A3. I worked with the guy in charge of fitting at Thule and had the fit kit sent to me as soon as it was available. I desperately needed it last Sept. to get to bike races here in the midwest. I will never have any other rack than Thule. The customer service was stellar compared with Yakima. Yakima couldn't give me any dates or assistance while Thule went out of theire way to help me. Thule racks are better anyhow!

Cheers

Old 04-27-2007, 02:25 PM

The pic that jefferson posted of the audi a3 roof rack attached to the side rails is curious. I checked the thule rack fit guide and it says they don't have anything that fits factory rack siderails on the a3. But the pic shows the Thule 450R Rapid Crossroad roof rack attached. Does anyone have more info on this installation?