Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Is it safe & legal to paint the bumper lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Is it safe & legal to paint the bumper lights?

I really hate the amber lenses on the A3 bumper and since I have an S-line bumper - the smoke aftermarket lenses don't fit.

Anyone know if the bumper lights would be safe and legal to just paint over with a few coats of spray paint?

I am concerned that if I painted them they will "overheat" because the heat won't be able to escape - or am I just being paranoid.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:44 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is it safe & legal to paint the bumper lights?

Is it safe? If you paint them so they're not transparent, its not as safe b/c that's one less thing visible to others from hitting you.

Is it legal? Depends on your state.

I'm not sure what color your car is, but I have light silver. I was able to find a local vinyl shop that had silver vinyl very close to my car color. It covered it well enough that during the day, it blended well...but was transparent enough that it was still very visible at night.

For your overheating issue, think you're being a bit paranoid. I don't believe the lights produce all that much heat that you have to worry about that.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

I have Ibis White - painted mine graphite/titamium to match my grill, wheels and mirrors. A couple of thin coats of paint look graphite during the day, but allow quite a bit of light to show at night. Works fine.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 PM
1st Gear

Im probably going to get mine tinted, it looks pretty much the same and im 99% sure you can see them at night so I wouldn't think that you would get nailed for having them black. If something does happen you can just have them taken off easily rather than buying new lights. Place near me who did my tails said they would do it for around 50$

Old 04-08-2008, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

There is also products out there that are designed for painting(smoking) lights and are designed to allow the proper color and light through when being used.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

Why do they need to make them anyways? The Euro specs A3 don't have them and neither do most cars I see on the road. There are very few new cars now on the road that have bumper lights.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:13 AM
1st Gear

Yes it will overheat, I've done it with my bumper light and I have regretted it. I've made my mechanic check it and told me to replace the car part with a new one. He chose the right bumper light for my car and it fitted wel. Thanks to my mechanic, David.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:26 AM
1st Gear

Really? What kind of damage was it?

I thought the bumper lights only lit when you use your blinkers.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:22 AM
1st Gear

[quote]ORIGINAL: krazyboi

Is it safe? If you paint them so they're not transparent, its not as safe b/c that's one less thing visible to others from hitting you.

I really doubt it's a safety issue. As noted, A3s everywhere in the world besides North America do not have the bumper lights, and I don't think they are getting into head-ons at any higher rates. Compared to the headlights, I really can't see how an amber sidemarker is going to make a visible difference! (Other than aesthetics, where they stand out for miles!) On the other hand, amber turn signal lights DO make sense, but then, the North American cars have red turn indicators...go figure!!

Anyhow, I don't have amber sidemarkers and I think it's just as safe as having them, and the amber turn signals? Demonstrably safer!