Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

snow chains/cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 04:38 PM
Default snow chains/cables

i have a 2007 A3 with premium pkg. Tire size 225/17-45. I bought a set a Spikes-spiders online.however, they came with the wrong attachments for lug nuts. the lug nuts on the A3 are nail shaped, and the attachment wouldn'd go over the flat part. has anyone had other issue problems? i emailed them but no reply. what about other option? i can always replace the lug nuts so that the kit would fit. should i just get a set of skinnier winter tires so that i can mount regular cables?

Old 01-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Default RE: snow chains/cables

Do whatI do and leave your Audi in the garage and take the wife's car!

I know that the dealer specifically told me that I couldn't put chains on my Audi and they made me sign a document. Personally, I've lived in Iowa and Colorado and never used chains on any of my cars. Only in California does it seem to be required. Because we have the worst drivers in the world when it comes to anything other than dry pavement.

Good luck.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef
I know that the dealer specifically told me that I couldn't put chains on my Audi and they made me sign a document. Personally, I've lived in Iowa and Colorado and never used chains on any of my cars. Only in California does it seem to be required. Because we have the worst drivers in the world when it comes to anything other than dry pavement.
Right, the California dealer had you sign a document that mandates usage of spider spikes or auto socks but no chains. More on the auto socks here, they certainly are cheaper!

Old 01-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Yeah, that all sounds great, but what would the CHP say when you get to the top of the pass with the "socks" on when the sign says "Chains Required"? I could see that not flying! That'd be my luck.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Yeah, that all sounds great, but what would the CHP say when you get to the top of the pass with the "socks" on when the sign says "Chains Required"? I could see that not flying! That'd be my luck.
Guess that depend on if auto socks meets the description of tire traction device. Since this is a very recent introduction at SEMA-Las Vegas (10/31 – 11/3 2006) some might not be familar with it but over in Europe its been TUV cert'ed since 2001 as a tire traction device and recommended by VW/Audi Group. If you look up spider spikes it is a another European solution to the old problem of vehicles with restricted clearance issues that can't use chains. I guess given some time this will be a non-issue in the USA. On the flip side there are states that don't allow chains because of what it does to roads.

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE CODE SECTION
605. "Tire traction devices" are devices or mechanisms having a
composition and design capable of improving vehicle traction,
braking, and cornering ability upon snow or ice-covered surfaces.
Tire traction devices shall be constructed and assembled to provide
sufficient structural integrity and to prevent accidental detachment
from vehicles. Tire traction devices shall, at the time of
manufacture or final assembly, bear a permanent impression indicating
the name, initials, or trademark of the assembling company or
primary manufacturer, and the country in which the devices were
manufactured or assembled in final form.

27459. No person shall operate any motor vehicle, trailer or
semitrailer upon any portion of a highway without tire traction
devices when that portion of the highway is signed for the
requirement of tire traction devices. In any case where a passenger
vehicle or motortruck having an unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or
less may be required by the Department of Transportation or local
authorities to be equipped with tire traction devices, the devices
shall be placed on at least two drive wheels, or the department or
local authorities may provide, in the alternative, that the vehicle
may be equipped with snow-tread tires on at least two drive wheels
when the weather and surface conditions at the time are such that the
stopping, tractive, and cornering abilities of the snow-tread tires
are adequate. The snow-tread tires shall be of a type and design
manufactured for use on snow as a replacement for tire chains or tire
traction devices
, shall be in good condition, and shall bear the
marking of M-S, M/S, or other marking indicating that the tire was
manufactured for use on snow, or, in the case of tires purchased
before January 1, 1987, shall either bear the markings or, in the
opinion of the inspecting officer, comply with the tread pattern
requirements of Section 558.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

nothing about the chains, but i think the DC area has worse drivers!!! Here, people race to cut in front of you and then don't even keep up their speed to pass the people they were avoiding.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:48 AM

I have the Spikes-Spiders too with the same tire size. The attachments fit over the lug nuts fine. Used them atBig Bear in SoCaltwo weeks ago andthey worked extremely well. I think you may have locking wheel bolts over the regular lug nuts. These can be removed with a key.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:05 AM
L7
1st Gear

I totally agree with chef - I leave the A3 home and take the wife's suburban assault vehicle.
And I soooo totally concur with ghanaboi - maybe the DC beltway region should have laws about those chains and/or spikes. That would probably keep half the boneheads off the roads when the weather does hit. Then also - Maryland may want to consider striking the law about passing in the right hand lane. Then those people concerned about the weather will stay to the right since putty along in the left will become a ticketable offense.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:14 PM
1st Gear

The dealer made you sign something saying you won't use chains? I don't remember anything like that from Beverly Hills Audi. Would using chains void your warranty?

And I just bought a pair of cable chains last week to take up to the mountains. Apparently, Autozone doesn't let you return or exchange snow chains. DAIMMIT.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: boywonder
The dealer made you sign something saying you won't use chains? I don't remember anything like that from Beverly Hills Audi. Would using chains void your warranty?
And I just bought a pair of cable chains last week to take up to the mountains. Apparently, Autozone doesn't let you return or exchange snow chains. DAIMMIT.
If your tires are 225/45/17 type then this falls into the restricted clearance issue, then what might happen with chains is that the chains might rub or hit your plastic underbody close to the tires and severely damage the plastic. I think you would be rather upset if this happens.