Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Testing Revo

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Testing Revo

I've got this fridaySo anybody knows the Revo trial for my A3 2.0tfsi here in Atlanta. The guys where i've got the trial were realy nice and professionals. If i'll decide to go with Revo instead of APR they have a nice way or maybe the best way to do a chip tune an A3. They are doing a dyno before to show you where are you and after that they flash your car on the dyno. I was there on friday and my A3 was the only german car in the shop , but they had a bunch of evo's and sti's in there. One evo was on the dyno with the flash done and was dynoed at 260hp. Then they start changing the parameteres and after 4 pases on dyno he ended up with 275 at the wheels. They said that's the way they do the Revo flashing so... it's tempting to get the flash + fine tuning + dyno before and after for 499 +tax.(the sps they said it's 199)
Now here is my question for Chef and others with Revo chip.
I was concerned about diferent settings for diferent gas octanes (87/89/91/93 maybe some race gas?) and they told me is only one file but the car is sensing if you have a low octane gas and it will pull timing??? I was under impression that i'll choose the octane not the car it will?
And the sps if i remember well the first one has only two settings "stock" and "chiped", but the other ones they have settings for diferent octanes right?
The second question is about the expected gain. The tehnician told me that i'll get about 40hp and 40 tq. I'm only using 93 octane and on Revo's web page they give 60hp and almost 100tq for 93 octane so who's right? (i guess the most acurate answer i'll get it from their dyno at the end)
And the last question is about the sps. is this device personalized for only one car or if i'll ever have an mechanical failure and ofcourse i'm getting the audi to the dealer and he's guessing that i have a chip he can just order an sps from revo and turn the chiped mode on to deny any further waranty coverage? Because if it's working on any other revo chiped car then APR is more safe from this perspective.
The weekend is over now and i enjoyed the trial (was a blast), before i'll decide to stay with Revo i'll like to try APR also.So anybody knows if they have any trials for A3's?

This was a long post so guys thans for your time.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Default RE: Testing Revo

ORIGINAL: rolland

Now here is my question for Chef and others with Revo chip.
I was concerned about diferent settings for diferent gas octanes (87/89/91/93 maybe some race gas?) and they told me is only one file but the car is sensing if you have a low octane gas and it will pull timing??? I was under impression that i'll choose the octane not the car it will?
And the sps if i remember well the first one has only two settings "stock" and "chiped", but the other ones they have settings for diferent octanes right?
The second question is about the expected gain. The tehnician told me that i'll get about 40hp and 40 tq. I'm only using 93 octane and on Revo's web page they give 60hp and almost 100tq for 93 octane so who's right? (i guess the most acurate answer i'll get it from their dyno at the end)
And the last question is about the sps. is this device personalized for only one car or if i'll ever have an mechanical failure and ofcourse i'm getting the audi to the dealer and he's guessing that i have a chip he can just order an sps from revo and turn the chiped mode on to deny any further waranty coverage? Because if it's working on any other revo chiped car then APR is more safe from this perspective.
Well, before we start, I think both REVO and APR are good chip tuners and I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

A chip tuner will put on thebase program to your car, then they can fine tune the timing, boost, and fuel on your car to give you the best response. They generally log the car, either on a dyno, or on the road, and adjust the settings for optimum performance. If you run 93 octane all of the time, then your timing will be tuned more aggressively then here, where the standard octane is 91. Your car will adjust, to a certain level, the timing based on the octane of the gas. (ie. too many knocks and the timing will retard) The chip tuner advances the timing graph of the computer to accelerate the timing, but the car does have control to change the timing as well. The SPS device will advance the timing, and/or the full graph based on the program selected. These programs are preset by the chip tuner and you'll have to discuss with them where the changes take place and to what effect. The SPS device will work on any REVO chipped car since the program is already in the ECU, the device just changes the settings. This means that you can sell your SPS device to another REVO customer if you desire, and it works for Porsche, VW, & Audi. I wouldn't worry about the dealer having the REVO SPS device and checking your car to see if it is chipped. Not going to happen. BUT, you need to be comfortable with any decision that you make.

The power is much greater with the 93 program opposed to the 91 program. Take every figure they throw at you with a grain of salt. It may or may not be that powerful, but you'll definitely gain performance on the higher octane. Remember that the car was designed to run on 95 octane, so running the 93 program on 95 octane opposed to 93 octane will give you some benefit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

According to APR, they will install a "test" version for you to try out. Check their site for details.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

does apr have a way to fine tune the chipped program? or is this a revo only thing for now? im very happy with my apr on 91, but more is always better!