Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Track Time

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 01:53 AM
1st Gear
Default Track Time

Well I have done enough to my 06 A3 2.0t 6 speed to get her on the track. I am going to New Hampshire International Speedway for a track day in October! Have done tons to my car and I know it will be a blast. I have not installed the front H&R sway bar as I liked to be able to create oversteer on the street. Think I may put it in for the track. No need to be looping it my first time out. A little understeer (push) may be a good call.
Going to put in some race pads. The ones that come with the Stop Tech's have a BIG warning sticker on them to NOT use under any track conditions.
Anyone track their A3's yet. Suggestions on any prep?
Scott

APR Turbo Back Exhaust
GIAC Remap (through away APR remap)
Evo intake
Upgrage fuel pump
Bilstein Sports
H&R Springs
H&R Rear Bar (Front soon)
Stop Tech Big Front Brakes
Stop Tech rear break lines
OZ Wheels
Yoko AVS

Old 09-30-2006, 03:50 AM
T2T
1st Gear
Default RE: Track Time

I've had my A3 to the track a couple of times. I live in SoCal and we've got a well known track called Willow Springs. The best advice I can give anyone on the track, especially in the front wheel drive A3, is brake hard before you start your turn and no matter what, release the brake before you start the turn. Trust your car to do what it was designed to do. Turn hard and keep your wheels pointed where you want them to go. Then accelerate hard out of the turn. As far as prep, be sure you have a tow ring. Audi dealers sell them for about $70-$80. You don't want the tow truck to strap to anything else when he pulls your butt out of the dirt. Also, watch your tire pressure on every run. They heat up quick and keep heating up every run. Also, take a air compressor or small roadside pump. At the end of the day, you'll need to fill the tires back up for the drive home. Also, take a quart of oil. My car never burns oil except when I run it at the track. It goes thru a half quart everytime. Other things, if you use a timing chip, mount it as low to the ground as possible so the reader can pick it up. If you need to put a number on your car, use that blue edging tape, used by painters. It comes off easily but stays on even when you're hitting 120mph. One last thing, never be itimidated by the guy behind you. If you can't drop him driving comfortably, don't let him push you into doing something stupid. Chances are that their driving beyond their limits and you'll see them in the dirt soon enough, don't let them make you drive your car into the dirt too!!!
Good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/17602/AB7E54CF15514694A82F3ED9200E41A5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-30-2006, 04:32 AM
2nd Gear

^^^^^

This man knows his stuff.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:01 AM
1st Gear

T2T
All great advice. I have not been out on the track for 10 plus years. Gee my daughter is 10! I came in third place in the SCCA Solo II nationals years ago in a Toyota MR2 rear wheel drive and got killed when I went to a Honda Civic SI (FWD). Always been too darn aggressive. So again, your advice is an invaluable reminder. I will take it with me!
Thanks
DScott

Old 09-30-2006, 04:43 PM
SoCal Crew Member

T2T,

we missed you at the gtg!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2006, 02:06 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Track Time / Results /Comment / Question

Well I am hooked on racing, again. Took my A3 to New Hampshire Int Motor Speedway on a wet day and to Lime Rock Park in the dry. Had a blast. The GIAC is a bit punchy, tough to be smooth on the throttle. The suspension set up was great and the STOP TECHS were unbelievable. I was diving way into corners hard on breaks for a second and then powering out. Just like a full race prepared car would do. With the H&R rear bar full stiff you can induce some nice lift throttle oversteer and get around the tight corners quick. I hate front drive understeer. I am just too aggressive.
Used the ESP at NH as it has lots of turns and was slick. With out ESP I was just spinning away. The ESP seems to be designed to work WAY TOO much.
I am proud to say that after ten plus years off the track my A3 set up and what little instinct that came back to me had Porsche's, M3's and many prepared cars in the intermediate group looking over their shoulders and waving me by on the straights. The little grey A3 attracted a lot of attention. Only A3 at both 90 plus car events. The A3 can be very competitive.
PS there was a new S4 there. What a big dog that car is. The guy had his hands full. Even in the rain with AWD. He has gone through 4 sets of rotors in 6 track days.
I LOVE MY LITTLE A3. I just wish all the kids on I 95 in New England would'nt notice me so much. They hear me comming I guess. I mean the car has 5 doors, is grey, usually dirty from daily sales calls to construction sites and heck I have grey hair as well! Still have to show them what I,ve got time and time again.
A last comment and a question:
I have had the APR with a K&N and full APR exhaust. Then added fuel pump upgrade. Due to on going glitches my local guy switched me to the GIAC 93 program with the APR full exhaust, pump upgrade and EVO CAI. Having had both in the same car I can tell you if you are looking for seat of the pants performance the GIAC is awesome. I would never go back.

Question. Does anybody have a car with similar set up and experience harsh banging under hard accelleration from a full stop when ESP is off? What is it? I have replaced front exhaust hanger (the bushings were shot after 200 miles). And I have installed the Neuspeed poly torsion stiffener thingy(the exhaust bracket has been OK since this was put in).

Enjoy your cars. The Nokian full snow tires going on mine next week. Gotta slow down and be safe!

Scott

Old 11-20-2006, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

I had my A3 out for a day on Portland International Raceway (PIR) it's a pretty technical track with a Chicane and 2nd and 3rd gear turns. Overall is was a blast especially since it was free invite only from my dealership, including in class instruction and on track with race instructors. I was pretty impressed with the performance and turning ability, and my car is stock! I grew up around racing and have some drift experience...so skills in cornering is a big advantage, I was out driving Porshe's and higher end Quattro's, but they killed me on the straight aways. Some guy even showed up with a Carrera GT, that thing is insane.