Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Trouble shifting into 1st with DSG

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 02:48 AM
Default Trouble shifting into 1st with DSG

I'm really liking the DSG - took a little getting used to at first, but now I either leave it in D or pop it over to +/- when I need a little more control.

One issue I've found, though, is that occassionally the A3 refuses to downshift into 1 from 2 ... this will typically happen at or below 5mph, for instance when slowly proceeding up a hill. I'll tap the - paddle several times, but the transmission stays in 2; sometimes it'll finally shift down to 1, sometimes not.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:29 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Trouble shifting into 1st with DSG

never!!!only when it would over ref it refuses to down shift.otherwise even when hitting 6000+rpm it should shift .mine does!!have it checked I would say.ps witch engine do you have?i have been told that diesel engines have a very short first gear.can it be that you are going to fast for a down shift into first gear?

Old 03-11-2008, 03:58 AM
1st Gear

hannes,

I can confirm that very short gear in 1st on a TDI DSG. In D, the car is usually in 2nd gear before the back tires cross the white line if you are starting off from an intersection.

Even in manual mode, I rarely want to shift it to 1st because the transmission will grab, even with the RPM matching kicking in, and you get this sudden torque lurch. If the RPMs are too low, the car will shift it into 1st even in the manual mode. I'm not sure what the gearing ratios are in other A3s...and I hope I never find out...TDI forever! (well, at least until something really cool comes along!)

Old 03-11-2008, 05:43 AM
1st Gear

TPE-A3,
(well, at least until something really cool comes along!) ......perhaps a 3.2Q???[sm=smiley2.gif]just joking but mine will get up into its six gear (in D)when in hits about 40-45 mph.but it will shift up or down when I want to! that is, if its not gonna hit the ref limiter(high or low).

Old 03-11-2008, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

A 3.2?

hmm...it would be sweet....but I doubt it has the torque of the TDI. Mine is chipped to about 220 HP now...and mileage is crazy...13gallons, 560 miles. that is about 43MPG and it was hard driving the whole way...ie. cruise above 160km with constant slowing down for speed traps and toll booths.

I'm such a TDI convert. Now...an A3 with a 3.0 TDI....if we see that you'll see all my arguments about the efficiency of the 2.0TDI fly out the window in a rush to get my hands on that bad boy oil burner!!! Actually...I'm pretty sure that next year, if my business continues along as it is, I'll be trading in my TDI A3 for an A5...as long as my wife will let me get away with only 2 doors. And has anyone here seen the A5 wagon? WOW...it looks a little like a Magnum...but mmm mmm all audi...and TDI!

Though I would trade my dolphin grey for your Mauritus blue!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:01 PM
1st Gear

At 5 mph my car usually downshifts itself when in DSG so I would make sure that the car didn't downshift itself without you knowing. Just a thought

Old 03-12-2008, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Don't have a problem with my 2.0T
buy the sounds of it a 2.0T or 3.2 you shouldn't have problems but the TDI yes. So if your gas go have it checked could be part of the I3 or I5 reflash for the computer.
Oh and TPE if we could get the TDI in a A3 here in the states I would say a large number of us would have it. Can't beat that type of fuel econamy and the hp tq numbers you can get just out of a chipping.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

4rings,

I hear you on the TDI...on sweet engine...i just love love love it. I think with the "adblue" exhaut injection, the TDI will make "bin 4" emissions standards and thus be legal in 50 states. Mine does not have the adblue, but meets the NOX standards up to 2012 as is. With the Adblue, I think they make 2020 Euro standards for emissions.

As to this post, I tried it with shifting the DSG into first. No problems, it will do it right away as long as you won't redline. With a 4500RPM redline and a high ratio on 1st though, that is usually less than somewhere around 25km/h.