Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Tune Time

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 02:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Tune Time

Got a 2006 3.2 quattro w/ 63k miles. Never tuned anything - but impeccably cared for. I've got $3k to spend - what should i spend that money on to maximize performance?

Thanks in advance for the help on this forum.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:10 PM
1st Gear
Default I'll spend your money

H&R coilovers with V2 front spring not the V1

Front and rear H&R sway bars

HPA Haldex

HPA DSG flash(yes it will be readily available soon)

VF engineering motor mounts (yes all 3)

Forget the chip(but if you must...APR)
Forget the intake
Forget the exhaust

Old 07-11-2010, 12:51 PM
1st Gear
Talking Congrats dude.

Originally Posted by tcardio
H&R coilovers with V2 front spring not the V1

Front and rear H&R sway bars

HPA Haldex

HPA DSG flash(yes it will be readily available soon)

VF engineering motor mounts (yes all 3)

Forget the chip(but if you must...APR)
Forget the intake
Forget the exhaust

First of all to the OP congratulations - I have an 08 3.2 A3 Q and LOVE IT! Best car I have ever owned.

Second is regarding the HPA Haldex. What kind of upgrade is it exactly? Does it alter snow/inclement weather performance of the AWD? I go snowboarding quite a bit and don't want to sacrifice my winter weather safety.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

The HPA Haldex is a controller upgrade that speeds up the transition from FWD to AWD, with increased torque transfer and more aggressive engagement of AWD mode.

If you want winter drivability, you should probably get yourself a set of 18" wheels (if you have 17" (and vice versa if you have 18" wheels) put summer tires on the 18" and some kind of aggressive snow tires like Michelin X-Ice and only use them for the winter season. Some people say the HPA haldex will cause the rear tail to slide out more. But as long as you got your foot on the throttle, you can keep on countersteering (with ESP off, of course, otherwise you hear the wheel chattering while ESP tries to bring the tail back).

I used my all season in the winter and they were pretty decent the first 10-15k miles in all year driving, but after the tread worn down a bit, they did not have the grip anymore following winter (still had quattro, so still could trash around in snow/ice).

Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cshecks
First of all to the OP congratulations - I have an 08 3.2 A3 Q and LOVE IT! Best car I have ever owned.

Second is regarding the HPA Haldex. What kind of upgrade is it exactly? Does it alter snow/inclement weather performance of the AWD? I go snowboarding quite a bit and don't want to sacrifice my winter weather safety.
HPA Haldex has 3 modes to chose. stock, 60/40 and race mode. I had zero issues in the snow on race mode but if you don't like the feeling then just set it back to stock. It comes with a cable but I really suggest the wireless controller. Good luck

Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply - so no Exhaust? was thinking milltek - sounds the best to me.

TCardio - i can get all of that for $3k? What are best options - ordering products online then having dealer install (i'm way past my warranty and have good relationship w/ dealer) - or hit a tuning shop (Thinking Symbolic here in san diego)?