Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 A4 1.8tqM trans probs

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Default 01 A4 1.8tqM trans probs

hello all!.. this is a rather crappy way to make a first post.. but.. gotta do it.
I've got an '01 A41.8TQM with 106K on the clock. On my way to work this morning, I developed a wonderful new... feature...

took off rather quickly from a dirt road.. heard a rather sharp "thunk" as i let off.. now, when shifting (actually moving the gear selector into a new gear)... i hear a "thunk".. not a heavy (think slamming through the gears and clutchdrops) thunk.. more like a drivetrain lash... While in gear and cycling on/off throttle, no new/different noises... just during the shifts...
Also (and i may be paranoid here).. feel like I have a slight whine on decel in 1st.

I haven't gotten under the car yet, and won't be able to for a while, but I wanted to post up and see if anyone has any suggestions/thoughts/etc... and if necessary used trans/rear-end that will fit the car

I'm not afraid of turning wrenches... currently rebuilding a 1990 VW Corrado from ground up... but this is my daily, and i really don't have time/$$ to spend on repairs right now...

If anyone here is in the general Bangor,Maine area, and would want to meet up & have a listen/look-see.. i'd be more than happy!

Thanks for the thoughts!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:46 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 01 A4 1.8tqM trans probs

when was the last time you changed the transmission fluid if it has been a while or never i suggest that you get that changed my car had a spell of not wanting to go into gear i had the fluid changed with royal Purples max gear and it now shifts as smooth as a hot knife though butter

Old 06-05-2007, 10:52 AM

i JUST changed the trans fluid.. haven't gotten to the rear diff yet... tranny has brand-new GM synchromesh in it.. which, coincidently didn't smooth out my shifting @ all.. but... it was in need of a freshening-up anyway, soo... nothing wrong with changing it out anyway..

I'll be doing the rear diff this weekend I hope.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:47 PM

So... the car "volkswagoned" on me.. ever had a VAG product.. break.. then fix itself a day later?? yeah.. that happened to the audi.. noises went away... I was still driving it careful either way..

Tonight while driving home from work, i stop @ the hardware store, come out & head down the road... noises are back![:@] keep in mind this is anytime i change gears... reverse almost feels like it is binding up while i'm backing up... So i drive over to a friends place, jack it up and crawl under.

I am leaking trans fluid from the shifter rod seals... but nowhere else, so.. no cracks.. good. I didn't have my tools or a drain pan/new fluids.. so i couldn't drain & check for chunks.. that'll be sat morning i think...

While the front-end was up, i grabbed the driveshaft, and rotated it.. got about 3-5 degrees of movement, and heard a slight "clunking" in the tailhousing of the trans.... *oh no!*[sm=boosign.gif]... So i lower the front, jack up the rear... grab the driveshaft (as well as i can) from the rear... NO movement @ all... WTF!?!... like.. not even a little bit of slop... however, the input seal is leaking like crazy... the underbody is coated in fluid/gunk right there... [sm=boohoo.gif]

ssoooo... till i drain the fluids & look for chunks.. i don't know what else I can pass along for info... but.. if anyone can help out... PLEASE... fire me some thoughts REALLY wasn't budgeting for this to happen right now... and i only need like.. 2 more weeks to get my corrado on the road too

Old 06-09-2007, 02:42 PM

OOOO OUCHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! My friends 99 1.8 quattro avant had the same problem at first and later on the tranny basically completely went let's hope this doesnt happen too you.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:45 PM

yyeeeaaahhh...

*fortunately*.. i can afford to get a "new" car.. think i'm going to get out of the audi family for a little while... really need something more like a truck.. so that I can tow my always-broken-down corrado around :P something an audi just can't accomplish... just came back from test driving... they'll only give me $5400 trade-in on my A4.. wtf... it's got some minor defects in the paint, but.. they're bringing it to auction... so what do they care?

anywho... i may drain the trans fluid tomorrow morning anyway... just to see if i've got chunks...

still, if people have any thoughts on repair/replace.. keep 'em coming... I did just have an audi-tech friend say it sounded like the center diff... booo.. which would necessitate a $5kish repair... BOOOOOO...

-nate