Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 A6Q front suspension and trans probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Default 95 A6Q front suspension and trans probs

Hi, I've been looking around for quite some time trying to find someone with the same problems but was unsuccessful. So I figured maybe one of you guys could help me out.

Something in the front end keeps making a clunk sound, assuming it's the suspension, that only occurs when I am coming to a stop and when I am taking off, usually after I release the clutch. It's getting louder and I can't figure it out. I got new struts, my tie rod end recently got looked at (nothing wrong/no play) and new tires. There's no shaking, no other unusual sounds I can hear, just that clunk when stopping and taking off.

The next thing is the transmission. I don't know if this is considered "normal" because it's an older car, or if it's potentially going to become a problem. The first thing is taking off. It likes to slip into gears when switching into first and second, rarely third. You can also hear a thud sound coming from the back when it does slip into gear.
Next, it makes a jingling like noise as I am switching gears. It also makes a similar noise when I slow down and the car is still in gear as if something were bouncing around in the transmission's bell housing.

It's never popped out of gear but it has refused to go into first and reverse and on a rare occasion it won't go into the second as freely as it should and I end up grinding second gear because of it.

If anybody can help me, I would really appreciate it. I need to know soon because next month I am moving 250 miles away and I would really like to keep my car in one piece so if anyone recognizes something or has experienced a similar problem, please let me know, where should look and what should I check for.

Thanks, nfada6