Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 A4 Immobilizer problem - Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 12:46 PM
1st Gear
Default 2003 A4 Immobilizer problem - Help

Car will randomly start/stall immediatedly. Really bad now, can't trust carby stranding my wife. Dealer checked key codes - ok. I'm told one key had bad codes. Errors were then cleared from computer. I'm told perhaps the computer is not holding the codes. Now the remote control won't unlock doors or release the immobilizer. I'm stuck...anyone else deal with this ? Any good solution ?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 12-16-2006, 05:43 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 2003 A4 Immobilizer problem - Help

The key and the remote are two seperate systems so you have two serperate problems here. The most common problems with the imobilizer is either a bad key or a bad mechanical part of the ignition switch. Try using a different key. If the other key works with no problems, you know you have a bad key. Otherwise your problem lies with the reader coil which is part of the ignition switch. The remote not working is most likely a bad battery. Replace the battery and program the remote. If that doesnt work you probably need a new remote.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Dankhound...Thanksfor your response. I reprogrammed the remote, works now. The immobilizer remains an issue. Car is headed to dealership next week. Immob. is random. If I insert the key, turn it to the On position, most times the immob. dash light goes out and car will start. Sometimes the dash light will flash and car won't start. IfI pull out the key, wait 10 secs or so, then reinsert the key, turn it to On and the dash light goes out, the car starts fine. Is it normal to need to turn the key to the On position, pause a second or two, then continue to turn to the Start position? Something tells me either the key code is flaky or the reader ring is.

Either way I guess the dealershould should check the key code and reprogram it first, then move on to checking the reader ring function ?

Old 12-19-2006, 01:49 AM
3rd Gear

There may be some delay for the system to recognize a proper key. Thats why the car will start run a second and them die. The car gets at least that second to figure out you have the proper key. It almost always takes around a second for it to recognize when the key is only turned on. Have your tried the other key yet? Most likely the problem is with the reader coil.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Default Immobilizer/key problem??

I have a problem kinda like that.. left my car for a day or two tink i forgot two lock it, tryed to start it today, it wouldnt engine wouldnt even turn and obviously wouldnt start. key wont lock or open doors, but i can do it manually. There is a beeping from the dash, ABS light is on and handbrake light flashes.. dont have a clue whats wrong.. any ideas?? thanks

tryed both keys with no luck..

Old 01-07-2012, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Shane Connolly 88
I have a problem kinda like that.. left my car for a day or two tink i forgot two lock it, tryed to start it today, it wouldnt engine wouldnt even turn and obviously wouldnt start. key wont lock or open doors, but i can do it manually. There is a beeping from the dash, ABS light is on and handbrake light flashes.. dont have a clue whats wrong.. any ideas?? thanks

tryed both keys with no luck..
Have the exact same problem, did you find out what were wrong with yours?