Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 A4 w/ CVT FWD - chip upgrade possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:18 PM
1st Gear
Default 2006 A4 w/ CVT FWD - chip upgrade possible?

Evening all from a newb - tough joining new sites and getting slammed by search attempts. Sorry to have to ask something that likely has been answered somewhere deep in the forum, but my various searches didn't end up helping me.

I am seriously considering picking up a 2006 A4 CVT FWD (brilliant red...such a gorgeous color), but am wondering if the CVT model has a chip upgrade (I know about Neuspeed but have also read about Giac) available?

Question two, if I may, the car seems to have decent torque and get up 'n go (at least in the sport transmission mode), but is does anyone know what average 1/4-mile numbers this model with the CVT runs?

Finally, feel free to throw in comments regarding this model - reliability of the CVT, etc - I appreciate any feedback you're willing to offer.

BTW, the other vehicles I have in my short list - 2007 Grand Prix GXP (new, also the same shade of red), a 2006 G35X (slightly used) auto, and a 2007 white Mazdaspeed6.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:28 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: 2006 A4 w/ CVT FWD - chip upgrade possible?

BUY A stickshift.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

Would if one in the budget range was available. This will be a new company car and the budget I'm given is strict. Just luck that I happened across such a gorgeous car as this red A4 with low mileage and a matching sticker price.

The Mazda is a nice 6-speed stick. Lots of fun to drive (about as fast as the GXP's 303hp / 323 ft lbs of torque); but I've loved the A4s from a distance for years. In a year a promotion to VP comes up for me and I'll upgrade with a consumerate budget at that time. For now I'm saddled with something a bit less.

Thanks for the, uh, opinion.

I did find the "chip upgrade" sticky thread and it seems that the APR chip will work with the FWD CVT - can anyone confirm this?

Old 09-15-2007, 10:52 PM

I don't see any reason why you couldn't chip a CVT A4, assuming it's a 2.0T, that is.

if it was me though, I'd go with the mazda if it's only for a year. all wheel drive, turbo, and 6 speed to go with pretty decent aesthetics for a jap car.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:57 PM
2nd Gear

my personal opinion> I hate the cvt. don't get me wrong I love audi and I even love the new 2.0's however i have driven cvt's a few times and realy hate that transmission. it shifts way to much and has really lousy power distribution. I would not get it, but i still would choose that audi over all the other cars on your list even with that crappy tranny.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

Yes, this is the 2.0. The Mazda is a decent ride, but the A4 has much better handling, and even the GXP with its Bilstein shocks and struts and stabilitrack stands at least even with it. The Mazda also has the least extra content: a fast car with AWD but no other goodies. The GXP has heads-up display, Onstar, XM, etc. The A4 owns ALL the cars with its interior (but you all already know that).

I was given the A4 for the afternoon to drive and I didn't mind the CVT at all. I've driven the new Altima CVT offering and (even though the forums for that car are saying that its dynamics really change after awhile learning your driving characteristics) it was not much fun at all. The A4 CVT was at least as good as any normal auto, and the "S" sport mode really livened it up. The "seven gear" offerings of the tiptronic though seemed a bit much. It lets you drop from 7 to 2 for passing! Seemed a bit unnecessary. I guess its a matter of keeping up with the Joneses...?...re: Benz...

Old 09-15-2007, 11:26 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

What Mazda are you talking about? The MazdaSPEED6 eats any A4 alive through any corner...

Old 09-16-2007, 02:27 AM

ORIGINAL: cyberlogicx

What Mazda are you talking about? The MazdaSPEED6 eats any A4 alive through any corner...
he's referring to the mazdaspeed 6. and yes, it should eat any A4 alive, period. ESPECIALLY a FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CVT A4.[:'(]

Old 09-16-2007, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

To be frank, I agree regarding the Mazdaspeed6 and the A4 - in the short drives I've had it did feel a bit stronger in the curves (at least than the FWD CVT). I was hedging my comments so as to not rile the locals...[8D]...its clear the bias for the A4 among the A4 site is not blind here.

FWI, I did read a review last week in R & T - http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....;page_number=4- where the MSP6 finished 5th out of a 7-car AWD sports sedan comparison, AND the A4 Quattro 2.0T finished 1st.

The MSP6 was panned somewhat hard for its weight causing difficulties in the handling tests, whereas the A4 was sublime, though with less power on tap. The MSP6 was also 5th in the handling scoring, where the A4 was 1st.

Having not driven either of these cars as hard as the testers, I default to their results in this comparison. (And, yeah, I KNOW, its a magazine test, yadda yadda...but it appears tohave been a pretty well designed comparison with excellent commentary to back up the decisions).

Thoughts?