Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 B7 LOUDNESS/LAG/NOISE/etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 02:45 PM
dw1
1st Gear
Default RE: 2006 B7 LOUDNESS/LAG/NOISE/etc.

ORIGINAL: AudiHenry

Hey all, I took delivery of a brand new A4 yesterday and have put 100 miles on it today. Still working on the pics! :-D
Congrats!

I've noticed that the car is LOUD at idle. When standing next to it, you can hear it making a diesel-like sound. My girlfriend's Jetta, while 15K cheaper and two years older, is much quieter! Is something wrong with my car? It has a total of around 109 miles.
Normal FSI, more power = more noise

Another thing I've noticed is the throttle. When applying the throttle pedal, there is a slight delay before the car goes. Also, sometimes I have to bury my foot in there to get it to go, and as a result, I end up pushing my foot in, pulling it out, thus making the car jumpy during normal acceleration. I know the throttle isn't linked to the engine, but is this normal?
Normal (same with my B6), if you want throttle response, get a BMW ... (flame-suit on!)

And lastly, I'm hearing a metallic sound. You may be familiar with the sound of worn-out brakepads. You know, that dull-sounding creeeeeech? (not the loud screech). Well, while driving on the freeway and on the street and even when parked, a sound like that comes and goes. Braking, releasing, accelerating, moving the steering wheel and doing anything else does not make the sound go away: it only goes away when it pleases.
I have no idea, improper torque on the rims??? Take the rims off, check the pads/rotors/etc. or better yet, let the dealer do it for free...

Even though every other aspect of this car has me in love, these three things are starting to annoy me. Maybe I'm using a microscope to look at the problems or maybe they really do exist, but I'm slightly disappointed at their existence.
What do you guys think?
No car is perfect, no matter how much money you spend. The more bells and whistles you get, the more aggravation you will have with electronics etc! Just enjoy your new car and take advantage of the fact that you have bumper 2 bumper coverage on any problems that may arise ... just my 2cents ...

Old 08-18-2005, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: dw1

Another thing I've noticed is the throttle. When applying the throttle pedal, there is a slight delay before the car goes. Also, sometimes I have to bury my foot in there to get it to go, and as a result, I end up pushing my foot in, pulling it out, thus making the car jumpy during normal acceleration. I know the throttle isn't linked to the engine, but is this normal?
Normal (same with my B6), if you want throttle response, get a BMW ... (flame-suit on!)
Nicely put dw1, but the throttle response on the B7 compared to the B6 is night and day, and is at least as good as the old 5spd Steptronic, if not better. The new Step however is great but I think Audi is getting much closer with the new B7's. Just my 2cents.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:29 PM
2nd Gear

I have a b6s4, so I'm not sure if this holds true for a b7a4, but there is a short delay in throttle response. It is normal, and is caused by the dbw and ecu....it is more noticable when applying throttle fast. This was done to make the car an easier driver...but I don't like it.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

[quote]ORIGINAL: dw1

I've noticed that the car is LOUD at idle. When standing next to it, you can hear it making a diesel-like sound. My girlfriend's Jetta, while 15K cheaper and two years older, is much quieter! Is something wrong with my car? It has a total of around 109 miles.
Sorry dude, bu this is the stupidest explanation for the noise...ever! More power does not necessarily mean more noise. There is no way you could tie the two together. That it's FSI and that it burns fuel slightly differently is a good example, but your suggestion is simply ridiculous.

I'm going to take the car to the dealer, though I don't know how effective they'll be. I had the mechanic there take a look at the car because I sensed vibration when I test drove it before taking delivery, and he took one hour, looked around, poked here and there, and concluded that it was normal. Looks like a friggin' rat with two hands could do his job! [:'(]

Old 08-18-2005, 03:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: QuattroGT74

Nicely put dw1, but the throttle response on the B7 compared to the B6 is night and day, and is at least as good as the old 5spd Steptronic, if not better. The new Step however is great but I think Audi is getting much closer with the new B7's. Just my 2cents.
Looks like we found the culprit for this one! :-D

Old 08-19-2005, 02:58 PM
dw1
1st Gear

[quote]ORIGINAL: AudiHenry

Sorry dude, bu this is the stupidest explanation for the noise...ever! More power does not necessarily mean more noise. There is no way you could tie the two together. That it's FSI and that it burns fuel slightly differently is a good example, but your suggestion is simply ridiculous.

I'm going to take the car to the dealer, though I don't know how effective they'll be. I had the mechanic there take a look at the car because I sensed vibration when I test drove it before taking delivery, and he took one hour, looked around, poked here and there, and concluded that it was normal. Looks like a friggin' rat with two hands could do his job! [:'(]
[:@] Jeez!, just trying to help out a fellow Audi owner, no need to get rude ...