Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AHA V6 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:55 PM
1st Gear
Default AHA V6 question

Hi guys, don't usually have to ask silly questions like this but before I tear this apart again wanted some feedback.

Have a customer's A4 avant here, had a #2 bank cam phaser not working, KW stuck at 13. Output test made both phasers' solenoids buzz, took the #2 (driver's side) valve cover off, saw the chain tensioner shoe badly worn. It had hard misfires on 4, 5, 6 cylinders as well.

Installed a new #2 chain and tensioner, and #2 CMP sensor, cam seals, etc. Customer opted to JUST do the one side.

Started it back up, same thing, but now my #2 KW will vary a wee bit, but never gets to 0.0 like #1 bank does, and still 4,5, 6 misfires. Runs better above 2500 RPM.

It seems like the #2 phaser is still not working, there is oil getting to that head as the cam journals looked fine and there is oil splashing around (oil fill cap on that cover), so I cannot imagine JUST the phaser itself is not getting pressure. Screen was clean, intact, etc, and I used a new gasket of course.

I've done lots of these on V6s and I4s, but never had this issue. 16 links between marks, and I always use the proper crank pin lock and cam lock bar, etc.

Going to check compression once it cools off a bit, but I know if the cam chain tensioner, phaser is way out, it will show lowish compression so I think I will still see that.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 AM
1st Gear
Default Same issue

Im having the same issue on a customer car. 98 A6 with AHA engine.
Came in running rough. pulled a cam code and thought ok easy fix replaced the bank 2 cam position sensor.
Started car bank 2 cam timing chain tentioner code now and its floping all around and have P0304-P0306.
Relaced the timing chain tentioner, valve cover gasket. cleaned oil out of plug holes.
No slop in chain any more but still have P0304-P0306. Replaced all 6 plugs new wires and a new valve cover gasket on passenger side now.
Still have P0304-P0306.
every thing in the above post
also got the other timing chain tentioner code a few times for bank 1 but when valve cover was off it seemed fine held oil pressure and is tight.
Any help on this any one run into a fix if this is an issue people have had befor.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

No body has run into this b4 with any fixes? Magical or non.
Im just getting to the stumped point.
I cant get rid of these 3 misfires all on bank 2 just 4,5,6.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:45 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

on my 2.7T with the APB engine the problem I suspect would be the the ICM. Not familiar enough with AHA engine to offer a more informed opinion

Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 AM
1st Gear

Well, finally got around to looking into this car some more... found low compression in center cylinder in opposite bank. Not sure how or why this is not showing as a misfire, but customer elected to not do any more work to the car. I tried to buy it for a TDI swap, but he wanted way too much. Sad, it is probably sitting and rotting somewhere now, unloved.