Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying electrical fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Annoying electrical fault

This fault is on my 1997 A4 B5 2.8 Quattro Saloon

might be a fuse, im gonna have a look but its dark, it woudl be handy if you coudl tell me mhats causing this so i can repair it myself and avoid an auto electrician / garage.

I dont have front foglights, they were stolen, and I just put plain grilles there because i couldnt source any. this fault started today ,the foglights were stolen months ago.

Just starting today the following has all occured at once :

My rear lioghts and sidelights stopped working, my main beam works fine, however, when i turn o nthe switch for my none existant front foglights, my sidelights and back lights come on.My rear foglights work on the switch as usual. When i remove the key none of my lights will work.
but my dash lights up with the headlight switch on, as soon as i turn the key 1 click my lights come on (provided i have the unused spotlight button engaged)

This seems unrelated , but has happened at exactly the same time. My aftermarket radio will not retain it ssetings, I have tested and the +12v battery wire is not working, the stereo is only getting power with the ignition key switched on.

Any help, pointers to which fuse it might be etc is greatly apreciated, I have to set up my stereo to in the morning to go to work now (its a pain the defaults are horrible sounding), and I have to keep that button switched on (the button itself does light up) in order to have sidelights and rear lights.

Thank You.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:07 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Annoying electrical fault

The after market radio is now on a switch circuit. If you connect
it to a 12V on all the time fuse, you'll have to turn it off when you
leave the car.

Old 12-12-2006, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Annoying electrical fault

can you explain why this happened all of a sudden ? it is wired corectly, the ignition wire to the ignition and the constant wire to the constant. It used to hold memory fine.

Also cna you explain how this relates to my lights ? and how i can solve the lights problem ?

An easy fix is to run a new battery wire to the stereo, and just leave the front fog light switch on allk the time, but its not ideal, occasionaly i need to leave my side light son when parked, also my parking lights no longer work, I just tested this.

Thanks