B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

Strange electrical fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 01:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Strange electrical fault

Hi my name is Andy. I have a 2006 Audi A4 convertable 2.0T Sline.

I have had the car for 6 months now. I have been having an intermittent electrical fault which seems to affect multiple systems. I have taken it to a garage twice (not audi admittedly) and both times it has improved but doesn't seem to be fixed.

The fault causes:

Electrical hood opening and closing stops half way
Radio won't turn off when key is removed from ignition except by on off switch on radio
Back lights on dash and indicator signals on dash stop working
Fan appears to run constantly and continues for a few seconds after the car is turned off.

Very frustrating as both times it has gone to the garage the seem to play around with the electrics under the steering wheel and behind the dials and it seems to come back on.

The diagnostics just said it was a communication fault that's all I know.

The garage have basically said they don't know how to fix it but said they could replace a module for £600 but again they are not sure if this will fix the problem.

For now I have stopped using the hood and radio and all the rest seems to have stopped but I tried using the hood today and again it stopped half way, I was able to shut but all seems very odd.

Everything was working when bought and the car is in great condition except this. Really need some help/ ideas, should I just take it to Audi or have others experienced this problem?

Old 12-31-2014, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

When the fault occurs the heating system also becomes unadjustable and the lights on the centre console (red back lights) also all stay on for the entire time of car usage.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:58 PM
1st Gear

Haven't heard of this scenario on these cars before. Are these a reputable shop you've taken your car too? It may not hurt to take it to an Audi dealer and have them take a peek. Sounds like it could be a module of some sort but chasing electrical bugs can be a pain. good luck to you!