Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention all Tiptronic drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Attention all Tiptronic drivers!

ORIGINAL: black991.8tq

how many miles u have on ur tip? i changed mine just over 100k and my trans shifts perfect now and i even have a k04 on it. my car always shifted crappy and shook/jerk when comming to a stop, now its perfect. i say money well spent
There are 70k miles on it. are you talking about changing your snub or fluid/filter?

Old 09-07-2005, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

I have had this problem for over a year - not that I am happy others are experiencing this, but it is good that I am not the only one experiencing this - I am not crazy! I have tried the snub (APR) and I have had my trany fluid checked - level good. These had not affect. It only seems to occur (when I am in D or M - Tip mode) when I have my foot on the brake. If it downshifts from 2 to 1 w/o foot on break it is smooth as a babys but. If anyone has any insight or fix I am definately interested. 2002 A4 1.8TQ w/30k.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Administrator

its just the car down shifting att he lowest point befor it will let the engine stall
and that surge is normal when u down shift on a stick you will feel the car stop a lil or slow down

Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 PM
3rd Gear

im talkin change the fluid, it will fix ur rough tranny problems

Old 09-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: hakes

I have had this problem for over a year - not that I am happy others are experiencing this, but it is good that I am not the only one experiencing this - I am not crazy! I have tried the snub (APR) and I have had my trany fluid checked - level good. These had not affect. It only seems to occur (when I am in D or M - Tip mode) when I have my foot on the brake. If it downshifts from 2 to 1 w/o foot on break it is smooth as a babys but. If anyone has any insight or fix I am definately interested. 2002 A4 1.8TQ w/30k.
Thats it exactly! Maybe your fluid is level, but it could be burned up? Do these tips have a tranny filter thats serviceable? It happens in D, and even more in tip mode. Its not uncomfortable, but very noticeable. I just reassure myself that it does it cuz its a pimp porsche transmission, but somehow I doubt youll find this tranny in any porsche. But I have no friggin clue.. thanks.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Site Moderator

Im going to get the timing belt kit with the pump and all that crap before winter.. Is it easier to change the snub mount with the bumper off for the tip? Ive heard that apr's snub is sort of harsh? I know there's been postings about this but honestly im a lazy ******, sorry.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:09 AM
1st Gear

thats how it is, its jsut becasue its first gear thats how it always is, will do the same thing if you give it gas in first and then let off it will almost stop. If the tip is doing it by its self then i dont know what to really say becasue mine is fuckign smooth as hell.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Talis
i dont know what to really say becasue mine is fuckign smooth as hell.
Do you have a manual or tiptronic? Do you have a snub mount? I got to get one, and i need to know if i can do it with the bumber on!

Old 09-08-2005, 01:43 AM
2nd Gear

I never noticed what you are describing. I have a 99.5 with tiptronic. According to the Ross-Tech site, the tiptronic was recoded using a "new" shifting with the 2000 model year. However, with a VAG-COM you can recode your tip to shift differently. Here is from the Ross-Tech website:

02-Auto Trans : -- KWP-1281
VAG-COM works fine

Recoding Tiptronic:

In the newer cars, there are coding options for "Old" vs "New" "Tiptronic strategy". The "New" stategy (introduced in 2000 I think) is much more "automatic" than the old. To get the "Old Tiptronic strategy" where it won't downshift unless you come to a complete stop, I believe you have to change the coding in the following manner:

[Select]
[02 - Auto Trans]
[Recode - 07]
Enter the coding below
[Do It!]

Write down the original coding for future reference.

Look at the fourth digit in the coding (Cylinders):

0 or 1 - "New-style Tiptronic"
2 - "Old-style Tiptronic"

Look at the fifth digit in the coding (Market version):

1 - "Rest of world, quattro"
2 - "USA, quattro"
3 - "Rest of world, FronTrak"
4 - "USA, FronTrak"

So, for a USA model A4 quattro, if the original coding is 00002, and you want to change to the "Old-style Tiptronic" strategy, change the coding to 00022.

PS: As always, you play with stuff like this at your own risk. The "old" strategy is documented by VW only for "testing" and they explictly say that the car should be recoded the way it was before giving it back to the customer.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/audiB5.html

Old 09-08-2005, 02:55 AM
3rd Gear

dude u dont need a f ing snub mount, are u listinin ? get ur tranny serviced, they change the fluid and i belive filter also it cost about 150 dollars and ur tranny will be as smooth as the day it was new.

Quick Reply: Attention all Tiptronic drivers!