Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A4 - Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 09:07 PM
2nd Gear
Default Audi A4 - Water Leak

I noticed water accumulation in my audi on the left side front and back after a heavy rain storm a couple of weeks ago. I tracked the leak to be occuring because of a fault in the front left drainage tube of the sunroof. Somewhere between the beginning and end of the tube there must be an abbration because it the leaks into the left side of my dashboard, then down and out onto the floor. The question is: How hard is it to get to the tube and what should i replace it with. Can a person, with the right tools, do this without a proffessional mechanic?

later i'll post pictures of exactly where the water is coming in etc. but i don't have time right now.

Old 11-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Default RE: Audi A4 - Water Leak

See if yuo can use an air compressor to clear the tube of any blockage. It sometimes works.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:17 PM
3rd Gear

Replacing those hoses is a real pain in the ***. Most of the interior has to be removed to acess the ends of the hoses. All of the pillar panels have to be removed to get the headliner out. The hoses are foamed into place. Theyre a real pain to pull out. Youll want to use the old hose to pull the new one thru. Its very hard to fish the new one thru. Definatly try blowing them out first thou.

Old 11-08-2005, 06:54 PM
1st Gear

Don't wait to get this fixed, my sunroof hoses were clogged and caused my door locks/window air pump to quit working all together, $1,150 to fix.

Old 11-08-2005, 08:04 PM
2nd Gear

I dont think the tube is clogged. Water runs through it fine and comes out where its supposed to come out, but after about a gallon, it leaks into the car as well. may it still only be clogged? it sounds like i wont be able to replace the tube myself but the dealers will definately charge some serious cash for a tube replacement. any other ideas?

Old 11-14-2005, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Where is the water from the sunroof suppose to drain out? How was your problem resolved?

Old 11-17-2005, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear

I'll put up a description and pictures of whats going on in my car in a few minutes. Saturday i will make attempt #1 to fix it.

Old 11-17-2005, 07:50 PM
2nd Gear

Ok, so for anyone that has a waterleak on the left side of their car PAY ATTENTION! This is EXACTLY what is going on in my particular situation:

---READ---
In the pictures below, the yellow highlighted area just indicates that normally there would be an interior trim panel there, but i removed the trim in that area to get a better look of whats going on. The green indicates the path of water out of your view (inside the pillar) or its just an arrow showing you something in the picture. The blue is visible water exiting where it is supposed to exit. The red is visible water exiting inside the car, where it should not be.

Heres a picture of the general left side of my car just in case.

This is the left front corner of the sunroof. To the left is the left side of the car. the arrow is indicating the location of the drainage hole which is out of view.

this is a close up, so you can see the exact location of the drainage hole.

Here you can see where the water is supposed to enter, and where the tube runs down the pillar, and where it is SUPPOSED to exit (water coming out in the correct place is blue). You can also see where the water is entering the car (generally, not exact -- this is in red)

Here is the exit point for the water on the outside of the car. it's under the hinges of the front driver's door.

Another picture that shows whats going on inside the car.

does this better explain what's going on for everyone. i will see massive water leaking in after pouring about a gallon of water into the drainage point and no less. This weekend i will try cleaning out the drainage tube at my brother's work.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

CKANDES your the F-ing man.. i now believe i might know why its happening to me.. ima see if i do some experiments this weekend i hope to be able to figure this out soon before it gets too cold. ill keep you posted if i get to do anything.. Keep me posted on any updates please and ill do the same.. thanks

Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear

no problem, i had taken the pictures earlier so i could explain to anyone who needed. If you think you're having the same problem, get to fixing it quick. if you look at the pictures, you'll notice the flow of water runs right over the fuses and a load of electrical wires. NOT GOOD. it could cause serious problems so try to fix it quick! i need to do the same.

edit: i'm glad everything made sense there

Quick Reply: Audi A4 - Water Leak