Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Trans Service: Dealer Advice vs My gut

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 07:01 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Auto Trans Service: Dealer Advice vs My gut

Well, here is the service schedule, and, there is no "change tranny fluid" on here.

If the system is sealed, I wouldn't F*ck with it.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/ima...ance.sched.pdf

Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 PM

I agree but why do Audi offer a service including that?? should the auto tranny be touched? how do you know when the level is low? do you do nothing and leave it till the fluid burns out?, quite simple questions really

Old 11-01-2006, 07:18 PM
5th Gear

exactly you leave it until the tranny burns out and that is the "lifetime" of your audi

Old 11-01-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear

Hmmm. Anyone heard about a tranny fluid change actually causing more harm than good....possibly accelerating the inevitable failure? This is what one of the tranny shops told me.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:55 PM

actually NO they are very goodish but still recommend a fluid change at least this tells you there is no leak and the fluid is burning off ( same as oil ) but would I go against the manufacturers????? absolutely yes

Old 11-01-2006, 08:00 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: captainehh

Hmmm. Anyone heard about a tranny fluid change actually causing more harm than good....possibly accelerating the inevitable failure? This is what one of the tranny shops told me.
How would it caus it harm , If you add the same fluid it should have better lubrication characteristics than old broken down fluid .
The only thing that might happen (and its a long shot) Is the tranny might develop a leak (when old fluid grimes up sometimes it acts a a sealant , kind of like the sludge from motor oil ) But thats really a long shot .. So I say If the transmission is not a sealed device .. CHANGE IT ..

Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 PM
1st Gear

Sounds good. Audi needs to square up on this one. It's pretty riduculous that they claim the tranny NEVER needs attention!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 PM
LME
1st Gear

I have a mechanic I partner with on Audi's that I buy with blown engines or bad transmissions. In fact, he put a transmission in the '97 A4 I'm driving to sell right now (can't beat getting in a '97 A4 for 1800 including car, tranny, and title!).

His opinion of sealed transmissions is that they are designed to increase dealer dependancy.

I agree.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

Conspiracy theory, but I have to agree.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:46 PM
5th Gear

lol ya most likely. i remember reading somewhere that you can change out the fluid w/ a fluid pump, vagcom, and a lift. it was somewhere on this forum so just search automatic transmission in the a4 section and you should find some helpful articles. for this i would just take it to a dealer. they definitely know how to change it and will do it, but dont expect it to be cheap

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Service: Dealer Advice vs My gut