Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Trans Service: Dealer Advice vs My gut

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:55 PM
LME
1st Gear
Default RE: Auto Trans Service: Dealer Advice vs My gut

Dealerships are looking at extinction in the next 15 years, service centers are what will be left. I should rephrase to say "service center" dependancy.

I used to sell recycled transmissions, but as sealed transmissions have started to come in, we've had to get out of them. The worst enemy of a transmission is heat, and to protect against heat you must have 1)good, clean fluid 2) enough fluid. I recommend a complete flush every 25k, and depending on the vehicle you must make sure you either drop the pan and clean the filter, or replace the filter. I believe on most Audi's you just clean the filter as it basically is a grate. I could be mistaken on that last point though.

But since manufacturers are making closed systems, they are ensuring basic maintenance can't be done on them! This is a great short term solution, but people will eventually stop buying something that turns to crap, and as much as I love Audi's, if you can't maintain the drive train they are essentially worthless to me, because I can't buy and sell higher mileage Audi's.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:03 PM
4th Gear

Don't change the TIP fluid. Wait for transmission to start acting
differently. As long as it doesn't cause problems leave it alone.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:26 PM
LME
1st Gear

Well, you do that. Do it to your oil too. In fact, do it to your dot3, radiator, and every other fluid you have in your vehicle.

As long as nothing's blowing up you should be fine, right?

Old 11-01-2006, 09:32 PM
5th Gear

thats why he specified transmission fluid and not the same method for all the other fluids. dif. fluids can be changed out at dif. time intervals. u dont do a full coolant flush or tranny fluid every time you do the oil do you? audi transmission fluid is one of the longest lasting of the fluids in the engine so really it shouldn't ever have to be changed unless your experiencing problems. i just say every 100k for preventative measures.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:36 PM
LME
1st Gear

And I disagree. No manufacturer lists transmission fluid change intervals as low as they need to be. I am telling you I am in this business. I have sold hundreds of transmissions, and I know from experience that if you change every 25k, you can't wear out a transmission.

Do you think it is an accident that you will almost always wear out an engine before a transmission? Nope. But if you maintain your transmission, that doesn't happen, and you can get comparable lifetimes.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:45 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: LME

if you change every 25k, you can't wear out a transmission.
i bet i know a few ricers that can prove that wrong
Do you think it is an accident that you will almost always wear out an engine before a transmission? Nope. But if you maintain your transmission, that doesn't happen, and you can get comparable lifetimes.
sounds like your contradicting yourself in that statement.

hey man im all for keeping up maintainence on the car but doing it every 25k is overkill in my opinion. especially when i've seen audi's at 200k plus still on their original tranny fluid and original tranny

Old 11-01-2006, 09:57 PM
LME
1st Gear

The exceptions prove the rule. I'm not wanting to argue here, or be mean. I like you guys

I'm just passionate about maintenance, and I'm telling you if you will change fluid ever 25k, you can't wear a modern transmission out!

Old 11-02-2006, 12:29 AM
5th Gear

o i wasn't trying to be mean or anything. i actually like a nice arguement every now and again. you learn a lot from them. sorry if i came across in a bad way. u probly know way more about transmissions than i do but i just figured doing a fluid change every 25k in an audi would be unbearable. you better have a fat wallet for that one, and i dont think its as necessary as it is in domestic vehicles. just my opinion tho

Old 11-02-2006, 12:19 PM
LME
1st Gear

It might not be as necessary in an Audi. I can concede that no problem.

BUT BUT ... you had better have a fat wallet to drive any German car, period!

The argument is irrelevant with sealed transmissions, but I do know that transmission replacement costs are gonna go through the roof in the future, and that instead of getting pissed and buying brands that offer non sealed transmissions, people will buy new cars, making the cycle worse

Old 11-02-2006, 03:04 PM
5th Gear

lol ya thats cuz of all the retards out there with too much money for their own damn good. you know, the kind of guys who are experts at just signing receipts w/o even looking at them. "O the turning signal fluid was brown. it'll cost 1500 to fix it. o alright heres the credit card"

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Service: Dealer Advice vs My gut