Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost Leak : please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 09:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Boost Leak : please help

I have a 2002 A4 1.8T (B6) Avant Quattro with:
- Automatic transmission with tiptronic
- APR Stage I ECU Upgrade
- Forge 007 Aftermarket Divertor Valve

I have a nasty boost leak which is affecting acceleration and making an annoying noise.

I had my local tuning shop attempt to solve the boost leak.

Here's what they did:
- tightened all clamps. there are no problems with the clamps
- inspected all hoses. the hoses are okay
- the turbo is fine
- the DV is fine
- there is No check engine light. They hooked up the VAG and the car isn’t throwing any codes.

They narrowed down the boost leak to coming from underneath the intake manifold.

This is where their diagnostics expertise stopped. They were able to diagnose the leak to underneath the intake manifold but not further.

They have referred me to another shop that has more expertise in solving boost leaks.

They found a valve by the Intake Manifold that was not connected but couldn’t find any hose in the area that would potentially plug into this valve. They weren’t sure if this valve needed to be plugged in or not on an automatic transmission.

Has anyone encountered this problem or a similar problem in the past?

Any suggestions?

I would greatly appreciate your help before going to another shop.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Default RE: Boost Leak : please help

Do you have a boost gauge? do you know what it runs at currently?

Old 05-08-2007, 10:28 PM
1st Gear

It was cover before many-many times….

search on how to find boost leak first and then reseal or even change vacuum lines, i mean do whatever needs to be done…
or come back here search little more and if still have ?s then ask….

Old 05-08-2007, 10:42 PM
1st Gear

sorry I don't have a boost gauge and don't know what boost the car is currently running at.

I did infact use the search function but was quite overwhelmed by the search results. If someone could point me to a specific thread or FAQ on how to find and fix a boost leak that would be great. Thx for the help!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

Try this, I posted this on AG a little while ago, it works great for locating boost leaks.

http://www.audigeeks.com/forums/index.php?topic=2034.0
http://www.audigeeks.com/forums/index.php?topic=2139.0

Old 05-09-2007, 12:17 AM

[align=left]Not having a boost gauge with any mods should be illegal. Do you have access to VAG-COM? If so, log block 115 for requested vs. actual boost. That will tell you if there is a boost leak as well.[/align][align=left]Go to www.a4mods.com and put together a cheap boost leak pressure tester that Ryan has instructions for there.[/align][align=left]A lot of boost leaks can't be seen under visual inspection. Cracks in hoses, especially, only open up when they are under pressure. [/align][align=left]One big place by the intake manifold that always leaks on B6's is called the "suction jet pump". It is a Y shaped valve behind the intake manifold that is prone for leaks.[/align][align=left]But again, the only way to find some of these is to do a pressure test using soapy water at all connections and hoses. Where it bubbles, is your leak.[/align]