Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling ALL TECHS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Calling ALL TECHS!!!

97 A4 v6 5 speed

My car was running HORRIBLY---noisy, hard to start, SLOW acceleration, no power (max mph of 60), backfiring---a complete mess and me nor my skilled mechanic could not troubleshoot for weeks.

Today I borrowed a computer from a friend, plugged it in and the car drove PERFECTLY..(although it was still hard to start--sounds like starter is grounding out--then kicks in ..finally) .I cruised around for about an hour. I was ecstatic to say the least. I stopped and turned the car off. When I restarted it was back to ***** again. Any suggestions???? I'm going to clean the connectors although they seem clean. I don't see any signs of an arc on any of them....BAD GROUND????????? Open to any and all suggestions

Old 09-20-2007, 02:17 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Calling ALL TECHS!!!

I should add that I was showing faults for both pre-cat o2 sensors beofre plugging in this ecu---which did not come up yet after driving about 40 miles. No cel at all. YET

Old 09-20-2007, 02:49 PM
2nd Gear

Don't change the starter yet. If the whole car is running crappy, how can you say for sure that the starter is bad? They aren't cheap either. Get the car running right and then see if it still won't start.

Have you changed all of your coil packs? Could be as simple as replacing them and they are relatively cheap (and go bad often enough).

Sounds like it may have been in limp if you can only get to 60 mph.

You need to pull codes and post them. I know you say there is no CEL, but that doesn't matter. Get the codes and that gives more clues as to what is fouled up.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

I think I got it. Being that the car (starter "grounds out" EVERY time I start the car, I figured I would try and pop start the BIATCH (being that I live on a hill) and see if it makes a difference. It Freakin worked. I guess the starter is grounding out the whole system and nothing can hold a ground from that point. I think I just need to reground the engine and body and go from there. I just hope it's that easy as I was told the tranny might have come down to do correctly. Any tips on regrounding PLEASE let me know!!!!!!