Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilovers - $2000: Is there a cheaper solution?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Coilovers - $2000: Is there a cheaper solution?

Back story:
I was initially going to get just new shocks and springs to lower my car (2k1 non-sport, non quattro 1.8 A4) and just go with that. But now I'm going to move from Sacramento California and its awesome weather to ChicAgo, Illinois and all that 'beautiful" snow. Some of my friends said that I would want to go for coilovers over shocks and springs so I can adjust the ride hieght in the winter so its not so low. This makes sense to me and I decided to inquire about it. Recommended on this board was 2 bennett automotive http://www.2bennett.com/ for the sac area. I sent an email inquireing about the cost of a coilover system, 2 grand!!! $1600 for the coilovers and 4hours at $85 installation

So my question is: Is this the price I can expect to pay everywhere or should I be looking somewhere else. Internet or possibly even used? And can I maybe install this? I'm handy and can work with my hands (been doing construction and the like since forever, but not much work on cars)

Or

Would it really be so bad to go with shocks and springs in a place with snow and fairly crappy weather like ChicAgo?

Old 12-02-2005, 01:30 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Coilovers - $2000: Is there a cheaper solution?

cheaper coilovers Konis STaSIS

Old 12-02-2005, 01:32 AM
Administrator

u can go for cheaper coilovers
the coilover you were lookin at did they have both adjustable dampering and height adjustable
some coilovers are cheaper when they just have height adjustong and they dont have adjustable dampering

Old 12-02-2005, 01:34 AM
3rd Gear

You should be able to get a set of coilovers for just under 1k.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:35 AM
4th Gear

You can buy shock/spring combo with grooves to raise and lower it.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:53 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

u can go for cheaper coilovers
the coilover you were lookin at did they have both adjustable dampering and height adjustable
some coilovers are cheaper when they just have height adjustong and they dont have adjustable dampering
They did not say, it looks like they game me a generic pretyped response. I asked about 10 questions for a bunch of different things they have and they only answered one.

If I were to buy Coilovers over the internet or the like, where can I get them installed? Will any place that does suspensions or works on them be fine?

ORIGINAL: audiboy1618

You can buy shock/spring combo with grooves to raise and lower it.
If dampering and changing the ride quality is not a major concern is this a good solution? I want a smooth ride, always have passengers, and am not worried about making this a track machine as much as I would love too. I would keep it at one stiffness level.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:03 AM
3rd Gear

The only things I'd ever built before I got this car were Legos. I've installed everything I've bought for it. You'll definitely be able to do it. There are cheap manuals and helpful tutorials all over the internet to help you out. Try the Audiworld.com one for the coilovers; it's really good.

You can get Stasis-Konis, H&Rs, or grooved Bilstein shocks with your choice of springs for adjustable sporty suspension under $1000.

Old 12-02-2005, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

im not sure if your into Ebay but ive seen a set of TEIN coilovers for under $600 and i would take the car to an AUDI mechanic for the install not just any place.. BUT then again you dont have QUATTRO so any ricer shop MIGHT be able to install. ive been quoted $150 and i have quattro

Old 12-02-2005, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

If you are moving to Chicago will you be near Naperville?

GRD in Naperville. Talk to Twan. He's an Audi man and a good mechanic.

www.grdperformance.com

They'll probably recommend Stasis. They quoted me $1000. Others recommend the H&R coilovers. I'm not sure which way I'll go. I haven't come up with the $ yet anyway.

The snow here isn't really that bad, it's just gets friggin' cold. I run two sets of tires, summer & winter. Normally the snow doesn't get deep here especially if you stay on the road. I wouldn't worry about adjustable ride height for that reason.

Old 12-02-2005, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

I see dropped WRXs running around in the snow all the time, i don't think it'll matter as long as you don't drive on unplowed roads too often

Quick Reply: Coilovers - $2000: Is there a cheaper solution?