Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant smell when vent on in 2001 A4 Avant 2.8Q

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 12:35 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: coolant smell when vent on in 2001 A4 Avant 2.8Q

Just because they have replaced things one at a time, doesn't mean that they have fixed the problem. It sounds like either a leak in the hose (crack or pinhole), a loose clamp, or a leak in the heater core.

Are you sure they replaced the heater core? Did you actually see the used part that they removed from your car?

Old 08-25-2004, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

Obviously they have not fixed the problem, you are correct.

They wrote in the repair order that they found the firewall insulator wet with coolant, damage to the heater core, and defective grommet to heater core neck, and that they replaced all 3. Also did a pressure check and steam clean of heater ducts, brought down the dash, replaced everything and recharged the AC. So unless they blatantly have lied in the order (a copy of which I hold), I have to assume that the heater core was replaced.

Also in the repair order stated that they contacted the factory rep and consulted him for this repair, so all that has been done.

As far as another dealership, I want to find yet another one, which would make 3 so far. (There are 5 in our general area -SF bay area). As I mentioned and you confirmed, Audi cannot and will not recommend any one over the other for me, so it is just going to have to be trial and error unless I can get a recommendation from this forum or anybody else. Also after all this, to expect me to pay for my own rental is ridiculous. I have spent numerous hours on the phone with Audi of America and Audi dealers yesterday and today- trying to find ways to resolve this, as well as get recommendations for a good dealership and not pay for the rental . All of this time I spent could have been saved if Audi had its act together.

Dealerships may be independently owned and operated, but they have Audi's name on it. The first dealer I went to (twice) only took out the air filter, cleaned it, and said that "it smells good now" and left it at that. I told Audi about this, and they said they have no control over the dealer. I guess they don't care if they lose customers-that's right- "we don't let just anybody be our customer!" Also, they send a survey to everybody after service, I think I deserve to know the results of those surveys once I am in my current situation and need a good dealership. So far I am very disappointed to say the least. And this car has only 24k miles on it! The first time I took it in for this problem was 11.5k miles. This is a $40k German car, I expected better.

Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 AM
3rd Gear

if it only smells on the econo setting that might be the setting where the outside air vent is open...
meaning if you have a leak somewhere else and the outside air vent opens up you will smell the coolent

I had a fuel leak once and certain settings the smell was overpowering just something to have checked next time you go in tell them to check the entire cooling system for leaks as they will obviously not check anything without you dirrecting them to

Good luck

Old 08-25-2004, 12:56 PM
4th Gear

Try

http://1.8t.org/dealers

Old 08-25-2004, 06:18 PM
1st Gear

I have already done this and they have done that check. But I will have to do it again until someone gets it right.

And crazyhawk, thanks for the dealer ratings, they were helpful. Although the dealer I am wanting to change came out on top...

Problem is, the dealer near where I live is extremely incompetent. The next closest one is at least 30 miles/45-60 minutes drive from my house. Every time I take the car in for something like this, I lose two mornings-one to drop it off and one to pick it up, so pretty much a whole day. I don't know what kind of jobs/vacation schedules other Audi owners have, but in my job this is tough. Does anyone know if you take your Audi to an independent mechanic it breaks your warranty? Are there mechanics independent of Audi who do warranty work? (Heck, they claim their own dealers are independent, so why not an independent mechanic?)

Old 10-14-2004, 03:03 AM
1st Gear

I checked the coolant about a month ago, and I had to add a quart as it was below minimum (after having gone only 2000 miles since they had it). Now, another 1000 miles later, most of that quart is gone as it is about minimum again.

I decided to pursue lemon law with this car, Audi has just not been reliable and has failed to stand behind their product. Too bad, because I absolutely loved the car, but I just cannot deal with this lack of reliability this early in the life of such an expensive complex car.

Thanks for all your guys' help and advice.

-racerx

Old 10-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Site Moderator

You may have a leak in your heater core. Check for carpet stains and leaks into the cabin (that would be a definite sign, though heater core leak does not always leak into the cabin).