Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downpipe or no Downpipe? Stage II REVO

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:28 AM
1st Gear
Default Downpipe or no Downpipe? Stage II REVO

I'm doing my exhaust tomorrow and having second thoughts about installing my new downpipe as well. I was at StartupRacing today and getting a little advice and I was told I should basically sell it unless I'm planning on using my car on the track and not as a daily driver. I've searched past posts and flame me if you want but I paid some good cash for my downpipe and now don't know if I should use it now or wait until my warranty is up (26K miles now) or just sell what I have. President of the company was telling me it was a lot louder with it installed and it had a distinct smell to it which was most noticable in garages large and small. My ultimate goal really isn't to be the fasted A4 out there but to be a luxury sleeper like my wife's new 3-Series. He was saying that with everything, there is some sort of compromise and I can understand that to a certain point. I was thinking about purchasing the GT28... turbo but he wassaying that it performs like hitting a switch. I though...whatever. He's got a 01 S4 running two of those and sure, it does bite like a snake but didn't really sway me because he's running a 6 cyl andtwo turbos....thoughts? I am fine waiting on the turbo upgrade because I can use the money I was gonna do that with and buy either the HRE's I want or Kinesis rims I've been eyeing since before I traded my new car for this one. Holla at me with your opinion. Owner also has a B7 A4 and he allowed me to ride with him. I didn't smell anything until after we had been redlining for a little bit and it was like, wtf is that smell. Don't want that in a daily driver....

Old 03-24-2007, 05:39 AM
Default RE: Does your downpipe smell???

that's a pretty personal question isn't it?

Old 03-24-2007, 05:44 AM
1st Gear

haha...seriously though, I'd rather resell what I have if it's gonna make me feel like I shouldn't be driving it daily. That did sound kinda gay in my phrasing though if you look at it huh

Old 03-24-2007, 05:55 AM

I have never heard of this, there are supposed to be no exhaust emission smells or gases coming into the cabin area at any time.

Old 03-24-2007, 06:09 AM
1st Gear

Cool man thanks. I'll keep looking for replies, not that I don't trust you but I've only modded asian cars because they were cheap. Now that I'm 30, I just want to live through my younger co-workers and bought this car for more than just the love of the look but for many reasons. I guess I'll just try everything out tomorrow, post some pics since I haven't yet with my ride outside of my AVIC-Z1. Outside of realizing that it wasn't a joke that German cars are hella expense compared to asian cars to mod. With what I've spent already, I'd have a high 11 second honda but I'm never going back. I've owned this for a little over a month and have already dumped almost 4K into it (no repairs). I don't really care about a 300 HP car at this point because this is a daily driver. For now, I just like putting my wife's 330IX to shame even if her's is an Auto Now after my warranty is up, completely diff story.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:51 PM

I have a ATP testpipe, labree DP, and custom 2.5' exhaust with a magnaflow muffler and with the windows down you get a faint smell of the exhaust while stopped at a traffic light or stop sign

Old 03-24-2007, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

Thanks man. I guess the only people that really know have one now. Guy I got my exhaust from didn't rec. installing mine unless I was willing to put up with that. If I weren't using this as a daily driver, I would put up with it. In about three hours, I will be installing everything and then I'll get her hot and see how it is for example, in my garage. If' it's too much for me to deal with now, I will just take the downpipe back off and keep my stock in there until my warranty is up and I can go with a much larger turbo. Thanks tooxtreme8813

Old 03-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Yeah definitely put it on. My exhaust system w/downpipe doesn't smell whatsoever.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

I have everything on now but I can smell fumes for sure on my B6. All my friends love the smell. Doesn't bother me until I park in my garage and get out of the car to go in my house, it's like dayum BUT, I don't think I'd turn it off. Next mod is upgrading my clutch.