Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driving on bad wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:35 AM
5th Gear
Default driving on bad wheel bearings?

so my front wheel bearings are bad. they make ths rly bad whining noise at 40mph. so my question is will i damage the cv if i keep driving like that? i only drive in the city and the fastest i go is about 55. i usually drive like 10 miles a day. and am i loaded with exams and hae aboslutely no money to do them right now. but if my cv halfshaft can get ruined from the bearings then i'll dig up sum time to do them.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Default RE: driving on bad wheel bearings?

I also have two that are bad - one that started recently, and one that's been around for awhile. I have gone to NYC on them once and Niagara Falls once, and the rest of my time is between around town and a few times to Syracuse. I have had no problem so far, and I average a few hundred miles a week. They need to be done, but they're not an instant cause of failure. Chances are (and I've read this on here from other people as well) you will be fine for quite awhile, but when funding allows, it'd be good to get them done.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:24 PM
5th Gear

ty jeremy. now my chest is a lot lighter lol phew *wipes sweat off head with a beach towel*

Old 10-20-2007, 01:25 PM
5th Gear

o ya and dude i found a audi club around here. ca_va.org check them out. they're based in albany though

Old 10-20-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Bad wheel bearings heat up as they are out of lube, more than once ive seen them catch on fire on guys cars who thought they could make it for a while. Good luck guys just thought you should know

Old 10-20-2007, 02:24 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: operator

Bad wheel bearings heat up as they are out of lube, more than once ive seen them catch on fire on guys cars who thought they could make it for a while. Good luck guys just thought you should know
I thought that was this was a freak accident but it happened to my pals VW jetta, bearings caught FIRE!

you can get them repacked and lubedat any tire center for 50.00 bucks.

Flame on Gentleman

Old 10-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Site Moderator

The hub can warp and the abs sensor can get damaged if it gets too hot.
Not a good idea to keep driving on it, especially if you have to replace the steering arm the hub is pushed into making the repair bill over $1,000 in parts alone.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:33 PM
5th Gear

o ****. dammit auditech, always gotta give the good news and bad news. well here goes my lunch money and there comes my new wheel bearings.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Site Moderator

Better paying a little now than a ton later.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:09 AM
4th Gear

You are going to have them fixed sooner or later. Parts are 50 dollars a side. My shop charged me 100 labor each side.

Quick Reply: driving on bad wheel bearings?