Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cam follower DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Default Engine cam follower DIY

About a month a go I realised that a strange sound is comeing from my engine bay.I didn't noticed it at that time too much but saturday morning, I went to Audi dealer for changing my engine oil ,they also noticed the sound and guess what happened than ?..... they changed my F**kin cam followers [:@]

but next time I will change by my self

1. Open the head cover , remove the timing belt ,disconnect the cam sensor harnes and housing.
Remove chain tensioner cover.
Remove all the gaskets.Don't use them again you need new ones.

2.Loosen and and take out the cam holders

3.Remove the cam tensioner and cams

4.Remove the both intake and exhaust cam flollowers .( you can use a magnet )

5.Add some motor oil around new cam followers and insert them.

6.Btw.you can clean the chain tensioner with some degraser. and put them back to their place ,insret the cams back ,tence the chain with turning the cams opposite way with your hands.Oil inside walls of the cam holders and put them back.
Clean the gasket walls with a peace of cloth.

7.Replace the new gaskets and backward the steps for the closing procedure.

8.Before closing the pulley cover,turn the hexagon head bolt of the belt pulley full few times.

I believe this will help a lot

Old 03-20-2006, 09:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Engine cam follower DIY

So are you saying they changed them without asking you first? If that is the case i would be flameing pisssed off!!!!

But anyhow, i have never heard of a problem with the lifters....ever, but im not saying it cant happen

Old 03-21-2006, 01:49 AM
1st Gear

when your oil needs to be changed, things get into them and make a tapping sound, or if you drop oil press, even just instantly, it will tap really bad until they bleed back up (doesnt take very long)

if you ever do decide to do that again, a few things,
1. clean the link chain (between the cams) and mark the rollers (with paint, dont scratch or the like) when you turn the motor over, you will see a deep groove on the backs of the cams that line up to arrows on top of the rear caps (you will see)
2. 16 rollers between the cam marks... the chain MUST go back in the same way it came out, same direction, same rollers on the sprockets

3. bleed down the lifters before you put them back in the car

4. dont run the car overnight after you do it, if the lifters arent completely bled down to tolerance, your valves will make a broken timing belt look like a walk in the park.

5. once car does run, let idle for a time before revving and driving, valves will tap, but it will go away after a few hours of running... it is because the hydraulic lifters take some time to bleed their way back up.

6. use lots of assembly lube, you dont want the cam lobes scratching the tops of the lifters

one last thing, any lifters that are reused must be placed on the same valve they came off of. watch not to strip the cap screws on the bearing caps... i stripped 3 because of negligence... just make sure the driver is in there good, and put some weight on it.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:06 AM

ORIGINAL: AudiTech04

So are you saying they changed them without asking you first? If that is the case i would be flameing pisssed off!!!!

But anyhow, i have never heard of a problem with the lifters....ever, but im not saying it cant happen
Na. I was taking pictures while they were changing my lifters , I changed my oil first because I didn't beliave them at all but I realized that the sound is still comeing from the engine bay so I decided to change the followers.They said it can couse big problems in the future.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:21 AM

ORIGINAL: xx18quattroxx

when your oil needs to be changed, things get into them and make a tapping sound, or if you drop oil press, even just instantly, it will tap really bad until they bleed back up (doesnt take very long)

if you ever do decide to do that again, a few things,
1. clean the link chain (between the cams) and mark the rollers (with paint, dont scratch or the like) when you turn the motor over, you will see a deep groove on the backs of the cams that line up to arrows on top of the rear caps (you will see)
2. 16 rollers between the cam marks... the chain MUST go back in the same way it came out, same direction, same rollers on the sprockets

3. bleed down the lifters before you put them back in the car

4. dont run the car overnight after you do it, if the lifters arent completely bled down to tolerance, your valves will make a broken timing belt look like a walk in the park.

5. once car does run, let idle for a time before revving and driving, valves will tap, but it will go away after a few hours of running... it is because the hydraulic lifters take some time to bleed their way back up.

6. use lots of assembly lube, you dont want the cam lobes scratching the tops of the lifters

one last thing, any lifters that are reused must be placed on the same valve they came off of. watch not to strip the cap screws on the bearing caps... i stripped 3 because of negligence... just make sure the driver is in there good, and put some weight on it.

Good write-up man we will keep that in mind but still it's a question mark why that happen to my followers ? 64000 miles on it ,is that the reason ? Did anybody had that problem ,plz share with us.thanx

Old 05-24-2015, 12:00 AM
1st Gear

i have a audi a4 b5 1.8t does it also have a intake and exhaust cam follower?

Old 05-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by r3viloliv3r
i have a audi a4 b5 1.8t does it also have a intake and exhaust cam follower?
No, that's a feature on the later 2.0T motor.