Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP lights on after CAI install

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
1st Gear
Default ESP lights on after CAI install

Hi All,

Yesterday I installed an evo cold air intake for my 2003 A4 1.8T and instantly both the check engine lights and ESP lights came on.
Now, I feared that the coupler or some other part may have been loose which was what was causing the check engine lights to come on but I was
stumped at why the ESP lights would come on. So I double checked the connections and sure enough the connection before the MAF sensor
had a small gap. I reconnected everything sealing the joints well and placing the MAF sensor exactly in the position it was in the stock air box.
This took care of the check engine lights but oddly enough the ESP lights are still on. I tried pushing the ESP button but that doesnt take care
of the light. Could the MAF sensor have a direct relation with the ESP???? I hate to have to take it to the dealer to have the codes read as I'm
sure they'll blame it on the CIA and wash their hands off from helping me without charging me for it although my warranty is still effective.
Can anybody who's had this problem before or knows anything about why this could be happening help me out?

Thanks much,

Old 08-20-2006, 12:23 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: ESP lights on after CAI install

Sure it wasnt the EPC light that came on (Electronic power control).

go to Autozone and they will pull codes for no charge.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:05 PM
1st Gear

Nope it def is the ESP light. Yellow triangle with a circular arrow around it. Also, this morning the check engine lights came back on. It just seems like a patter to me coz the first time i turn the ignition on after reconnecting the battery, the engine lights stay off but the second time the ignition is turned on the lights come back on. So I check the codes at Autozone and they read a P0102 but they couldn't pick up anything for the ESP lights.

I read somewhere here that the ESP lights could also be due to a blown ESP fuse so I check the fuse and it looks solid. I was considering putting back the stock air box and taking it to the dealer if the lights are still on but I'd really appreciate any advice from you guys about anything I could do to avoid having to deal with the dealership and removing the CAI to fix this.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:35 PM

Damn man... sorry to hear of ur troubles. Sorry to say I dont have to much info to offer... i would just search this forum and any audi-based form you can find. Anyway, why install a CAI on a 1.8... not too much gain wise, unless the sound is what your going for. Oh and if you do take it to the steelership, most DEF put on the stock airbox cause you would no longer have a warranty on your car.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:14 PM
4th Gear

P0102 is low signal from the MAF. Perhaps the CAI has messed it up. Remove the CAI and go to the dealer while you're under warranty.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

Thanks a buch fellas. Think I'm gonna re-install the stock air box and take it to the dealer to save further hassles. Will let ya'll know how that
goes!