Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Strut Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 05:52 AM
1st Gear
Default Front Strut Problems

hey guys, im new here...
So, i just got my A4 1.8 fwd. I took it to be inspected so i could get the car licensed. So, the guy told me what i already knew. The right front strut is failing. He said that my car passes inspection though, because it isnt leaking. It makes a chatter noise when i go over bumps. Kinda like the ball launcher on a pinball machine. I asked them what it would cost to get fixed. They quoted me 150 on labor, and 90-120 on the part. I was dumbfounded. Any suggestions? I have been looking at parts, and would really like to go with Bilstein instead of the bargain basement stuff. Any ideas on where i could get a pair of struts for less the 120 a piece?

Thanks,

Cory

Old 02-06-2006, 05:07 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Front Strut Problems

no help?

Old 02-06-2006, 05:46 AM
1st Gear

sorry bout the no help thing i think most of us were watchin the seahawks game (superbowl)..... I def was cause i'm live in seattle and now i want to KILL the Reffs cause they DEFINATELY TOOK A BRIBE THE THROW THE GAME. F******************** THEM!!!!!!!!

NE way..... little bit o venting....... haha

i have to same prob. it's either a strut or a wheel bearing.... i think it's a wheel bearing cause i thought it was the shocks until i spent 525$ on bilstiens and it didn't fix the prob. BUT i got REALLY good handling

SO my bet is it's the wheel bearings cause i got mine inspected HARDCORE by a place called Bavarian Autohuas and thats what they said. (cost me 100$ for just the inspection)

Old 02-06-2006, 06:05 AM
1st Gear

if it is the wheel bearing you would hear it when you turned, or braked, and if it is really bad you will have alot of shaking in your steering wheel then again it could be a cv joint there are many possibilities its best if you dont know how to figure it out take it to someone who can you dont want to go and spend money and not fix the problem, and 120 per strut does not sound that bad i did some looking for you and that is a good deal, you have to remember you are driving an audi not a honda or acura, you gotta pay, and on that note you get what you pay for...............

Old 02-06-2006, 07:25 AM
4th Gear

A clatter noise when you go over bumps is either tie rod end, control arm, or strut mount.

Have it checked by a garage that is used to working on VW/Audi. My bet is on bad upper control arms. If you bounce up and down on the corner bumper, does the car come to a quick stop, or does it continue bouncing?

Old 02-07-2006, 11:31 AM
1st Gear

the car stops like it always should. It just has a chatter noise when i go over small bumps. I dont think it is a wheel bearing, because there is no shimmy or steering issues when braking or going down the highway. i can let go of the wheel and it tracks perfectly.
I am also doubting that it is the control arms because the guy i just bough it from had just replaced them.

=\

and yes, the refs did not do a good job.

Thanks,

Cory

Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

oh, you asked if i bounce on the bumper with my body? I will do that later today.

Thanks,

Cory