AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A4 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/)
-   -   Gas brand preference, and does it matter? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a4-8/gas-brand-preference-does-matter-80973/)

Flip 11-08-2007 03:14 PM

RE: Gas brand preference, and does it matter?

I use the highest unleaded octane I can get, it's usually 93 but on rare occasions I can find 94. I won't go lower than 92.

Darknight101 11-08-2007 03:20 PM

Shell 91 but depends on the gas station I'm out. Found 3 close to me that are good 1 is a stright rip that is a shell but family owned so how knows. I just know I get crappy MPG from that one and am forced to use an octane booster to get the MPG to a decent mark. Other then that Shell and Chevron are my to of choice and I will go out of my way to find a good gas station.

ggoodling 11-08-2007 05:10 PM

Shell is good but has all the additives, BP is good w/o additives, and it matters.

apr_a4 11-08-2007 05:46 PM

why high ocatne?
well german n/a engines are highcompression which means they can compress a given amount of air more, octane is the resistance to ignition so if you have a lower octane it will ignite due to the heat like in a disel and cause engine knock which is very bad but that dosent ussualy hapen so you get bad performance and mpg

and every turbo car uses a higher ocaten because the turbo forcess more air into the engine

i use shell 93 bp 93 and mobil 93
and when i go to the track or when i make my friends pay for gas when we go to the southside to pick up i make them put in 100 octane from clark whic is 6 a gallon

ggoodling 11-08-2007 07:06 PM

this should have a poll

da604a 11-08-2007 07:16 PM

I've always used Sunoco 94, we have no access to anything else where I live, except off brand Sheetz gas, and...i just dont trust it. Wish we had a Shell.

da604a 11-08-2007 07:19 PM

Correction: Wish we had a Chevron

ItsThat2.0T 11-08-2007 10:22 PM

I use BP at home in NJ. But I'm currently at school in RI and Mobil/Exxon is all I see around here, so I fill up with their 93.

SAudi 11-08-2007 10:27 PM

yes our cars are tunned for higher octane ratings, anything less would be uncivilized, well not really but itll cause a CEL or severely retard the timing. also where you get gas matters, cheap isnt always better, i filled up at the dominicks petrol pumps once and my tank only lasted me to about 280 miles, whereas when i use shell or BP i get 300 with a small bit of spirited driving and i can usually still go another 20ish miles before the gas light comes on and i fill up.

DA_BOMB 11-09-2007 02:45 AM

Sunoco 94 always. gotta love Canada!