Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP CV JOINT PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Default HELP CV JOINT PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I now have 2 torn CV boots. I dont want to pay all the money to replace the outer cv jointS. So.. do you think If I replace the boots with ECS boot replacement kit I'll be okay. Has anyone done this install? Kit link: http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...mp;engine=1.8T

I dont have any noise comming from the joints yet. The one went about 6 months ago and the drivers side just broke. What do you guys think I should do?

2001 a4 1.8t man fwd

Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: HELP CV JOINT PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i used the ECS kit an it worked great, the only thing is, 6 months is a long time, so i'd be skeptical about just replaceing the boot, inspect your CV joint well before you slap a new bot on, cuz you might need a new joint for that one.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:33 PM
3rd Gear

yeah, when you take it apart completely and clean out all the old grease, look for signs of wear on the inside of the CV joint (scallopped area where the ***** roll - and look for heavy scratches on the *****, cage and star. Generally if the grease isn't contaminatedwithsand andthe grease looks clean -just black and smelly - and it hasn't been making any noise while driving, itmay just be ok.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

My way of thinking about it is that you do as much work replacing the boots that I myself would just put in two Reman Axles and forget it. In reality they don't cost that much. But thats the way my brain thinks about things.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 PM
3rd Gear

Some reman axles are bad quality, so you have to be careful. I only did mine because I know they are original Audi axles, I had the time to do the job, I know how to do the job, have the tools to do the job, don't mind getting dirty, it's a good time to see what else your car might need while your in there, and I saved hundreds not buying known quality complete axles.
It can be a PITA to do it if you've never pulled apart a ball joint from a control arm before.
You'll need the tools, mostly common tools, plus a 14mm or 17mm allen head for the axle nut and a 8mm 12pt bit (some call it a serrated bit or 8mm triple-square) to take the axles off (it's easier to just take them off imo).

Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 PM

Once again I can not find a axle that can fit my car. I have tried 5 different remanufactured axles now and none of them fit. either the outer joint is good and inner joint is bad and vice versa. The good news is I dont have to replace them b/c they are still in good shape.

Now my problem is I cant find a CV boot that fits. I ordered the ecs kit and they didnt fit. I need a boot that is 4 inches in diameter.

I think the issue is the 2001 and the 2001.5 model difference. ECS seems to think so too but now they are closed and I can't get the parts.

Old 12-14-2007, 06:05 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Redrum1

My way of thinking about it is that you do as much work replacing the boots that I myself would just put in two Reman Axles and forget it. In reality they don't cost that much. But thats the way my brain thinks about things.
Seems like he had more trouble with trying 4 different reman axles that didn't fit thanhe would havehad just doing the bootreplacement.

I had trouble with the boot kits that I ordered too. The outer clamps were a little to small, soI had to pick up bigger clamps at NAPA at the last minute. Anyway, just take your time. You should get the P/N off the axle if it isan OE Audipart. Maybe they can get you the right boot kit that way.You will probably need to stretch the boot just a little to get it over the CV joint and into the groove. Then just put the clamps on -using aset of pliers helped a lot to get it on the tightestnotch possible before squeezing down on the clamp. GL