Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hhmmmm...I now know what a blown turbo sounds like!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 PM
2nd Gear
Default Hhmmmm...I now know what a blown turbo sounds like!!

After a completely killer mtn biking weekend in West Virginia I blew my K03 on the way home. I knew it was going because I heard the infamous "dentist drill" sound when I was almost at the resort. Anyway, I ended up getting towed 200 miles by some good ole' Virginia boy in the middle of the night. So now I need some advice from you guys...

I obviously have to replace the turbo and now would be the the utimate chance to upgrade. Is the K04 still the turbo of choice or should I try to go bigger? I don't particularly want to spend an ton of $$ but I would love a larger turbo.

Does anyone run a BT on a Borla? Also, where do I find a good BT kit these days? TIA for all your help!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Hhmmmm...I now know what a blown turbo sounds like!!

ko4 is out. BT is in.. you can only run the borla(without modification) on the eliminator turbo's.. renn-art, boostfactory, and atp are a few places you could start to look at turbo's and kits.. only word of advise on that is DON'T get the tuning from atp, Mika..

also, you could troll the classifieds here, AW, Vortex, andAZ for turbos, sorfware, manifold, etc..

good luck

Old 05-29-2007, 09:36 PM
1st Gear

agree with sean1.8t on the Mika...dont do it. ATP makes great kits but bad software. The cheapest kit with good software I have see lately is the ATP gtrs kit w/revo software sold by eurocodetuning. Thats about $2600. Your not going to get into a BT for much less. even a K04 with good software cost that much so BT is in..You have no choice. If you just want stock again check out this site. I got a turbo from them after my K03 went out and have had no probs with the new one..
http://www.gpopshop.com/index.html

Old 05-29-2007, 09:57 PM
2nd Gear

I definitely don't want stock again but $3000 vs <$1000 is kind of tempting. Unfortunately it looks like the ecodetuning kits are for B6 and up and I'm still rocking the B5. I should probably call around and ask these guys what they offer. Thanks to everyone who's helped so far and I'll definitely keep taking advice.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:07 PM
1st Gear

could always go ko4 and just wait on the tuning and other mods... this way u only spend around <1000 for the turbo and hardware

Old 05-29-2007, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: SouRce4

could always go ko4 and just wait on the tuning and other mods... this way u only spend around <1000 for the turbo and hardware
That's a good call and probably what I'll end up doing. I know once I taste the K04 for a little while it'll be time to go BT. Thanks...

Old 05-30-2007, 12:18 AM
4th Gear

Oh, that's too bad. But a good excuse none-the-less, to get a larger setup.
how about this one?

Old 05-30-2007, 02:57 AM
2nd Gear

yeah, since you're dbc you can't do REVO. but don't be discouraged. cause you can use CTapp software. which is imo the best stock ecu tuning you will be able to get. chris tapp knows audi's and can tune theish out of any turbo. just an option..

but don't waste your time and money on a ko4. it will only set you back in the long run

Old 05-30-2007, 08:33 AM
2nd Gear

Are you talking about the eurodyne software?? It would be nice to buy an elim kit with the software included. They make it really easy with the K04. Plus, I've always heard that you may have seriousreliability issues with BTs and I tend to put a lot of miles on my car. Anyway, thanks for the help everyone.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:03 AM
3rd Gear

I used to have Borla with my Elim. GT2871R.

Like sean1.8tsaid, it's bold on, no modification needed but believe me, if you want to run high boost like me then borla is not enough.

If you do not want to spend too much money and do not want to deal with any kind of modification to fit the parts, then go with elim series. it's all direct bold-on.

Your options on elims's software are unitronics & mika. I have unitronics and very happy with it.