Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hoohoooo, driving in the rain is FUN!! muaahahhah

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:41 AM
1st Gear
Default hoohoooo, driving in the rain is FUN!! muaahahhah

I live in San Jose, CA and we're getting some serious rain tonight. I live in the downtown area, and on the way home from work I took a detour down some industrial district streets to look for some open lots or roads to play on.

hahaha I found some! I'll post a message in the "West" forums with the road I found for those in the area who want to go play, too. Here's the post.

I found some great deep puddles (small lakes it would seem) to accelerate through and to hard-brake through. I found a nice very wet corner to slide through. And some great loose gravely very wet road to just punch it on and see what happens.

OK maybe not the best thing for the paint, but still… yep, here's the right smiley to use…

[sm=happybounce.gif]

So anyway here's some question from this experience (keep in mind this is my first Audi, first Quattro, and I've only had it two weeks).

1) How do you know when the ESP is engaging? When I test drove the car, I punched it on a loose gravel road and threw a 180 (on purpose). The car definitely broke loose then immediately grabbed hold again. In doing this, I saw the ESP light on the dash flicker. So I said to myself, "ah, that's the ESP kicking in. Nice". I looked up ESP on the Audi site and it doesn't tell you how you know it's kicking in. And I did a few things tonight that I figure should have used the ESP… then again, maybe I didn't push the car as hard as I thought I did?

2) I had a fog light go out while playing in the puddles. The car is an '02 with 66k miles so it's entirely possible that it simply burned out, but of course since I got the warning just after I splashed through a big puddle, I wonder if I could have gotten water in there and shorted the light. Seems doubtful that this would even be plausible on a German car – they should know a thing or two about keeping the electronics dry – but figured I'd bring it up in case anyone else has seen this? I also know that I have a rear fog light out and need to replace that anyway. Incidentally, I find it interesting that the car is NOT telling me the rear fog is out, but it is warning me on the front one. Are the rear fogs not connected to that information system?

Any advice on a good source for replacement bulbs?

Otherwise, damn fun day in the rain. I just wish I could have played longer, but was nervous that someone with a window on me would call the cops if I stayed too long.

-Joseph

Old 02-13-2007, 01:51 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: hoohoooo, driving in the rain is FUN!! muaahahhah

Try not to kill yourself/others, and switch to decaff [sm=alcoholic.gif]<---- What I imagine you must look like while typing right now... (must be frapatino)

Old 02-13-2007, 01:56 AM
5th Gear

lol nice man

Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 AM

1) when the esp light flickers... your car is making corrections to try and save you from crashing... when the esp light is on steady, it means you turned off your esp and the car will just spin all 4 wheels

2) you dont have 2 rear fog lights... you only have one and its on the left side so thats why the car isnt telling you... and your front fog lights should be either H7's or H11's i cant remember which... il get back to you with that

Old 02-13-2007, 02:44 AM
3rd Gear

you dont have 2 rear fog lights... you only have on
LOL... I thought my right rear fog went out also!!! So, why is there just one left rear fog light???

Old 02-13-2007, 03:16 AM
2nd Gear

Hey. I live in san rafael. It is pouring like no tomoro over here. Some streets are really fun to drive but some are kinda scary. Glad to hear your having fun over there.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: StepUpProductions

1) when the esp light flickers... your car is making corrections to try and save you from crashing... when the esp light is on steady, it means you turned off your esp and the car will just spin all 4 wheels
Just as I thought then, good. So I guess that means I need to push it harder ;-)

ORIGINAL: StepUpProductions

2) you dont have 2 rear fog lights... you only have one and its on the left side so thats why the car isnt telling you... and your front fog lights should be either H7's or H11's i cant remember which... il get back to you with that
No kidding?! OK, see these are the things that no one tells you. And are not in the manual. I should start a new website, "the missing manual" or something like that.

Sheesh.

Thank you kindly. I'm sure I can look up in the manual (oh whoops, maybe not) what type of bulb the front fog is, H7's or H11's, but sure if you find it and care to post, that'd be appreciated.

ORIGINAL: audiprotein
LOL... I thought my right rear fog went out also!!! So, why is there just one left rear fog light???
Right, why is there just one? Seems that the point is to increase your visibility from the rear in extreme fog. So then, are oncoming drivers supposed to think you're a motorcycle? ;-)

Weird. But, OK. Glad to know it's not a burned out light.

thanks for the 411!

-Joseph