Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inconsistent spark detonation issue... any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Default Inconsistent spark detonation issue... any ideas?

Car info: 2002 A4 1.8T (B6) 5-speed, 105,000 miles

Problem: I've had my car for about two years now and just recently, call it the past six months, I have been dealing with spark detonation within the first ten minutes of driving. The engine can be warm or cold; I of course try to let it warm up for a few minutes before driving.

I have replaced the plugs several times now. It hasn't seemed to matter what plugs I use but the problem remains. So, I'm not sure if I can completely point my finger at the ignition system because it was replaced about a year ago.

Here is my thought process: I know that my original stock catalytic converter is near the end of its useful life... because it's seemingly not an ignition issue could a blocked cat contain enough heat, or generally slow things down on the exhaust cycle to cause the mid-range detonation? Could it be the POS stock coil packs?

Option Two: Could my car be running too lean?

Regardless of what it is I am installing a test pipe, new Denso Uridium plugs, and a replacement diverter valve. Aside from the obvious power gains acheived by an aftermarket computer chip would there be a chance that that alone may fix my problem if in fact my car is running lean?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated... thanks so much!

(I'm nottrying to throw too much money into it because I am purchasing a new RS4 ina few months)

Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Inconsistent spark detonation issue... any ideas?

reading all of that talk about misfires and not mention of the coilpacks. They suck, that just might be your problem.

Kick *** if your getting a RS4

Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

+1. Coil packs seem to be the cause of many issues. I would consider it an opition.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:20 AM
1st Gear

Could be coil packs I would stay away from an Iridium spark plug that may make your issue worse your best bet is a copper plug they pull heat out of the cylinders much better and sould help your pinging problem. I recomend NGK BKR6E plugs they are cheap you will want to change them every 8000 to 10000 miles.

Are you pulling any codes?

What plugs are you running now and what gap?

You could have a dirty MAF causing your car to run lean? I would pull it out and clean it you can get MAF cleaner at autozone. Usually pinging is caused by a hot spot in the cylinder or a lean fuel mixture if you have excessive carbon build up in your cylinders that can create a hot spot and cause your car to ping.

I would clean your MAF change your plugs and run a fuel system cleaner and see if that fixes the issue before you fork out money for new parts.

A test pipe is a good move I enjoy mine I here the CEL issues are worse on a B6? They are also a PITA to install but worth the effort.

I here that APR and REVO are the best chips for the B6.