General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating issue (non-Audi) - need some ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Default Overheating issue (non-Audi) - need some ideas

OK guys, I need to pick your brains here. Having a hell of an issue with overheating in a 93 Civic LX auto with 180k miles - no problems of any kind except this. I know it's not the brand we deal with here, but I've done virtually everything and I wanted to see if you have some additional insight.

Scenario - car started having temperature creep issues as the timing belt service interval approached. Figuring that the water pump was approaching its deathbed and the t-belt was close to being due, we went ahead and did the whole job - t-belt, tensioner, water pump, coolant flush, Redline Water Wetter, etc etc. Burped the cooling system completely and the car was fine for a week or so. Then it started having more temp control issues. Re-burped the cooling system but didn't get any air out of it after 5-6 tries.

Next step was to disconnect the heater core hoses and blow them out with my air compressor. I blew it into one hose, with the other in a drain bucket, and then inspected the coolant that came out - no debris. Reversed it and blew out the other hose (reverse-flush through the core), got a tiny bit of debris. Resealed the system, re-burped it again, and another two weeks went by before temps started creeping up again.

There is no coolant loss in this car - the overflow is just as full as the day I did the t-belt job. I've also put a new thermostat in the car after verifying that it functioned correctly, and changed the radiator cap in the event that it was leaking down and not allowing proper system pressure to be maintained. Checked and adjusted ignition timing via the distributor and a timing gun and timing is in the appropriate range.

My only other ideas to try are to have the radiator pressure-tested and blown out (even though it is uniformly hot across its surface), and to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses in the event that one of them is collapsing under driving conditions and choking off coolant flow. I will also be doing a compression test just to be sure there's no cylinder head gasket damage, but as I said, there's no loss of coolant and there is also no mixing of oil/coolant or signs of leakage on the outside of the engine around the head gasket, so this is low on my list of potential problems.

Besides this, have any of you solved overheating issues in any way besides the work I've done already? TIA for any ideas - just throw 'em out there - at this point, I'm banging my head against the wall. I'll be trying the radiator flush and hose inspection/replacement this week, but is there anything I'm not thinking of here?