Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

install Bose in non bose a4

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:50 AM
Default install Bose in non bose a4

Hi,
I'm a new member but I did do a search before I am writing this just so you know. I have a friend with a 2000 A4 with a standard (OEM) non-Bose stereo system. The CD crapped out and she bought a new unit on eBay (I offered to do the install). After I installed it,there wasno sound in the front speakers. A reinstall of the old unit confirmed no problem with the speakers or wiring. When the eBay radio was turned on it displays Bose, and at first I thought this was a bonus. I found out through some research that the problem is the Bose radio assumes that the front speakers are powered through a Bose amplifier which is not installed. We have been looking on eBay for a non-Bose stock radio (with unlock code) for a month now with no success and now am wondering how hard it would be to convert the car to a Bose system since I have the head unit and am having trouble finding a replacement.
Does anyone know what's entailed? Obviously I would need the Bose amp, and they seem to be available, but I'm not sure on the wiring or if I need to swap out any speakers or such.
Really all we want is to get sound out of the front speakers. I read where you can have this reprogrammed with "VAG-com" but that's an extra expense and it sounds like a diagnostic tool that would only be used once anyway. The local Audi dealers are not interested in helping and in fact want basically $100.00 to give us an unlock code so we have to wait to find a unit that has one included, Most apparently do not.
thanks
martine

Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 AM
Site Moderator
Default RE: install Bose in non bose a4

You might have to reprogram the stereo head unit to not see BOSE, all the head units are set up to run on anything.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:53 AM
Default RE: install Bose in non bose a4

Thanks. I hope thats not the only way out of this.If I knew how to do that with a minimal outlay of cash I would be interested. Everything that I have found says this is only done via connecting with diagonstic tools like the (VAG-Com) I mentioned.
In the meantime I am going to keep searching on eBay for the non-Bose radio unless someone chimes in here with a way to get the front speakers workingwith the Bose radio
martine