Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument and Courtesy Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Default Instrument and Courtesy Lights

Whoo do I have issues. I got a shady used 97 A4 1.8t that had minor damage and the repair work was hacked. It drives, but lots of other things are weird.

The instrument cluster is supposed to show it's lights when you first turn the key, but the four lights in the center above the transmission indicator has what I assume is the Check engine light, missing. This is probably a bulb right? So I remove it to change it, and as I pull the cluster away on the left side (tach) the connector on the left side has a yellow and yellow/black wire that instead of going into the connector, is connected through a tiny white light bulb? Is this right? what is that for, I can't see if it fell away from the dash cluster, but it seems to be just hacked in there lighting up the space behind the cluster for no reason. Any clues?

Also, any advice for removing the connectors in the cluster and cluster dissasembly would be appreciated.

Next I have the courtesy lights in the back. They seemed weird to me that there was just a slot in the plastic cover until I pried it off of the pillar and found a loose piece of metal and plastic connected with a spring that looked like the back half of a switch. Were there switches for these that are now missing? could somebody show me a picture or point me to the parts?

Help would be appreciated, pictures would be much appreciated. If anyone's interested I might furnish pictures if I can finagle my camera to work.