Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

keyfobs won't stay programmed

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Default keyfobs won't stay programmed

I just got a second keyfob and after programming it the original one didn't work, so i reprogrammed that one and the new one didn't work, I'm stumped.I have a 98.5 a4 if that helps...If anyone has any idea why this is happening or what can be done to fix it i would really appreciate the input.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: keyfobs won't stay programmed

Do you have a valet key? I used that in the ignition to program it, and I've heard (unconfirmed) that it prevents the other one from losing it's programming

Old 07-13-2007, 12:52 AM

I had a valet key, this is the replacement. After the hail damage in my area, I had to have about $4800 worth of body work done. I took it to the body shop and they lost the key, so they bought me another keyfob. Didn't these cars come with two keyfobs from the factory?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 AM
1st Gear

the keyfob comes apart- 1st step pull the two peices apart of each other. that would be one with the key, and the other part would be the buttons...

next...look for the audi logo on the key..get a very fine knife...dig under the logo and it will pop off...next unscrew the screw found under the logo...the button part will fall apart into another two pieces...there is a battery in there...change it...maybe that is why..no good battery?? give it a try. better than buying a new 150 dollar key fob

Old 07-13-2007, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: QuickQuattro

the keyfob comes apart- 1st step pull the two peices apart of each other. that would be one with the key, and the other part would be the buttons...

next...look for the audi logo on the key..get a very fine knife...dig under the logo and it will pop off...next unscrew the screw found under the logo...the button part will fall apart into another two pieces...there is a battery in there...change it...maybe that is why..no good battery?? give it a try. better than buying a new 150 dollar key fob
Thanks for the thought, but the battery is fine, the keyfob is brand new. The programming alternates to whichever one as programmed last, if the battery was bad, I wouldn't even be able to program the new one.