Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License Plate Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Default License Plate Light

Well i got pulled over on Saturday night for "improper equipment" in other words my license plate lights were out... i was ticketed $150.00! I am going to contest it in court, but first i need to fix the problem. This has been an on going problem with this car is that the right light has been intermittant since I bought it. So I figured i would replace the bulb and that would be it. Nope! Both bulbs are out and I have checked everything that I can think of: the fuse (#4 postion), the bulbs themselves, I checked to see if I am getting a connection to the "contact point" above the bulb but i dont think that I am, I am not sure where to put the multimeter prongs at. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I need help very badly, as my court date is DEC 18 and have no license lights at night, so i need to fix this ASAP!

Thanks!

Old 11-25-2007, 10:08 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: License Plate Light

Just bring an empty package of the license plate light bulbs and your reciept from the parts store with you to court. Even if it is not actually fixed, they won't know that and will most likely drop the ticket or reduce the fine. Just play dumb and pretend that you should have just really gotten a warning for something this simple, and that you fixed the problem. Then just have the dealer fix it next time you bring it in for a major service if you can't trouble shoot the electrical problem yourself. They should at least drop the fine some, and unless you already make too much money to go to court and waste your day there, take a sick day for it. We all get sick sometime Cough, Cough....

Old 11-25-2007, 10:31 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Bogie

Just bring an empty package of the license plate light bulbs and your reciept from the parts store with you to court. Even if it is not actually fixed, they won't know that and will most likely drop the ticket or reduce the fine. Just play dumb and pretend that you should have just really gotten a warning for something this simple, and that you fixed the problem. Then just have the dealer fix it next time you bring it in for a major service if you can't trouble shoot the electrical problem yourself. They should at least drop the fine some, and unless you already make too much money to go to court and waste your day there, take a sick day for it. We all get sick sometime Cough, Cough....
That is a great idea. But after he does get the ticket dropped, he still needs to have the most likely corroded contacts replaced.

Old 11-25-2007, 10:48 PM

well, i already cleaned all the contacts on all the parts that looked suspect. Does anyone which points to test with a multimeter make sure the point at which the lamp lense housing is getting voltage?

Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 PM
5th Gear

worse comes to worse, just run a wire to the tail light that comes on when u turn ur lights on. i think that would be ur quickest option actually.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:59 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: 01A4T

ORIGINAL: Bogie

That is a great idea. But after he does get the ticket dropped, he still needs to have the most likely corroded contacts replaced.
could be a warranty issue that the dealer should fix, he didn't list enough specifics about his car though...

Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 PM

Sorry, its a 2001 A4 1.8T

Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 PM

Are u a minority?
Cop-Ummm sir your tail light was out.
You- Know its not
Cop raising flashlight and smashing it- It is now and your in a known drug area step away from the car place your hands on your head.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:36 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: bob12312357

Are u a minority?
Cop-Ummm sir your tail light was out.
You- Know its not
Cop raising flashlight and smashing it- It is now and your in a known drug area step away from the car place your hands on your head.
Great, another quality post by bob1231.......