Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 10:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Losing Boost?

it seems as though when i push my car pretty hard for a little while, i start to lose alot of boost, mostly in 3rd gear. any idea of why this is happening?

Old 05-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Losing Boost?

Give more details on your car.. Do you have a boost gauge?... Its a good idea to get one of those for diagnosing boosting issues. You could be going into limp mode, or you could be experiencing heat soak. Or a boost leak, but if its random, probably one of the first 2.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

Sorry, yeah its a 2000 A4 1.8TMQ w/ apr chip and airbox mod. But yeah its mostly random, it just feels like i lose a ton of boost, this summer i will get a boost gauge though. What exactly is limp mode?

Old 05-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: thizzwatitiz

Sorry, yeah its a 2000 A4 1.8TMQ w/ apr chip and airbox mod. But yeah its mostly random, it just feels like i lose a ton of boost, this summer i will get a boost gauge though. What exactly is limp mode?
Well i just say limp mode because its more fun and is what most people call it, or confuse it as, but what i mean by it is closed loop mode where boost/fuel/timing is set back to stock parameters to prevent damage to something... It can happen if you over boost, or if the ecu detects something that is off. Its meant to protect your engine. It happens a lot when you first get chipped while the ecu is adapting, or some people experience it with manual boost controlers or N75 race valves that cause over boosting. Limp mode is technicaly where the tranny goes into a fail safe mode itself and is basicaly the same concept as closed loop, but for the tranny... Not exactly, but something like that.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:54 PM
1st Gear

well i was thinkin what it may be is when it gets so damn hot in there, the turbo hose is collapsing, because i have heard that at high heat the oem hose collapses. So i may spend the 250 bucks on a ATP hose kit which wont collapse. Correct me if i am way off here.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Site Moderator

well i was thinkin what it may be is when it gets so damn hot in there, the turbo hose is collapsing, because i have heard that at high heat the oem hose collapses. So i may spend the 250 bucks on a ATP hose kit which wont collapse. Correct me if i am way off here.
Well i guess that could happen, i havent experienced it that i know of... But i guess the hotter it gets, the more easily it can bend or collapse.. but id check out the classifieds for a used samco hose first because they are way over priced new.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

good idea, ill check the classifieds or just go for the one on rennart.com

Old 05-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Site Moderator

id get a boost gauge first.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:17 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Well i just say limp mode because its more fun and is what most people call it, or confuse it as, but what i mean by it is closed loop mode where boost/fuel/timing is set back to stock parameters to prevent damage to something... It can happen if you over boost, or if the ecu detects something that is off. Its meant to protect your engine. It happens a lot when you first get chipped while the ecu is adapting, or some people experience it with manual boost controlers or N75 race valves that cause over boosting. Limp mode is technicaly where the tranny goes into a fail safe mode itself and is basicaly the same concept as closed loop, but for the tranny... Not exactly, but something like that.
Umm...what? I'm confused. I may not know exactly what limp mode is for Audis but I thought it just limited you to like 35mph or something like that. This whole closed loop thing doesn't make any sense. Can someone else clarify this?

Old 05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Site Moderator

Nah... I dont know ****.

Quick Reply: Losing Boost?