Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my cars got the squeeks

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:48 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: my cars got the squeeks

yeah theres plenty in there .... i'm not sure of the last time the power steering fluid has been changed though ...

Old 02-02-2006, 07:42 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: my cars got the squeeks

CV joints? Thats not what i've heard for this noise. I have this noise too, but along with this i have a clacking sound which is seperate. The clacking sound is the CV joints, and the squeeking i dunno what that is yet. I have also heard its some kind of bearing.

but ANYWAYS
the rubber things are the CV Boots. And whatever dealer that gave you an estimate of $1200 needs to suck a big one dry, because i did the job myself for under $60!!!!

Cv joints are around $100 and replacing them is a hell of a process i hear; replacing the whole axles themselves instead is alot easier, at $135 a piece.

Note that just because you need to replace your boots does NOT mean you need to replace the joints themselves.

If you can do it yourself or can get a friend to do it, all the better. I'm replacing the cv joints next weekend, i don't know about the bearings yet.

Can anyone give a better answer on what exactly the bearings are thet're making the squeek noise, what theyre called, what it takes to replace them and how much they cost?

Old 02-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Default RE: my cars got the squeaks

I suppose it depends on what the "squeak sounds like" I sorted an issue like this a couple of times "it was the C/V boot rubbing together while turning second was the tie rod end" I sprayed them with wd40 the sound went

Old 02-02-2006, 09:07 PM

mine squaks, but it squaks from stering column. but then stops as it heats up.

Old 02-02-2006, 10:17 PM

I had the same thing happen. My mechanic checked the steering linkage, he lubed it. Problem solved, and it has not returned.
If you do change or add power steering fluid do not use anything but the mineral oil variety. It is a lot more money but in the long run it is cheeper than replacing the power steering mechanism.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear

My squeek is constant as long as turning, it does not go aay when heating up or anything of that sort. It sounds somewhat like it's coming from the steering column and that was my first guess, but after listening harder i could also here noises along with it coming from under the car. The CV Boots are new because they were shredded when i bought them and i put new ones on. Now the cv joints are bad b/c it was driven with shredded boots before i got it and i'm replacing the axles as well in a couple of weeks. But where in the hell is the squeeking coming from. It seems to be getting worse over the months. Wheel Bearing?