Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myth about Dealers...I feel violated!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear
Default Myth about Dealers...I feel violated!

Yesterday my 02 Audi A4 3.0 didn't start in the morning. It turned over couple of times and it just died afterwards. My guess was the battery but just to be sure I called the Audi Roadside Assistance and they sent me the towtruck for free after bout 4hrs. Anyway, it jump started and everything but now it's at Hoehn Audi in Carlsbad. I just sent it away to the dealership because the glovebox wasn't working and I needed oil change. Here's my concern(s):

-The service guy told me that ONLY AUDI can replace the battery because he has to reset the computer. What kind of computer is he refurring to? I mean, isn't it as simple as buying a same size battery and slapping it back on? I have the radio code so that's a no problem. What computer is he talking about or is he just BSing me?

-Oil Change: They're charging me 90bux, is there a special method of changing the oil in my car? I know some high-end vehicles require dealer change because of the special "computer" so they call it. Is this doable at home by using the traditional way?

Well the total was; $275 for battery, $90 for oil change, and glove box was covered under warranty but I still had to pay $50 for labor.
Total was: $415+tax and I get my car back in couple of days. Did I just get raped with the whole battery thing or is it true?

Old 09-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Myth about Dealers...I feel violated!

ORIGINAL: blackhawk411

Yesterday my 02 Audi A4 3.0 didn't start in the morning. It turned over couple of times and it just died afterwards. My guess was the battery but just to be sure I called the Audi Roadside Assistance and they sent me the towtruck for free after bout 4hrs. Anyway, it jump started and everything but now it's at Hoehn Audi in Carlsbad. I just sent it away to the dealership because the glovebox wasn't working and I needed oil change. Here's my concern(s):

-The service guy told me that ONLY AUDI can replace the battery because he has to reset the computer. What kind of computer is he refurring to? I mean, isn't it as simple as buying a same size battery and slapping it back on? I have the radio code so that's a no problem. What computer is he talking about or is he just BSing me?

-Oil Change: They're charging me 90bux, is there a special method of changing the oil in my car? I know some high-end vehicles require dealer change because of the special "computer" so they call it. Is this doable at home by using the traditional way?

Well the total was; $275 for battery, $90 for oil change, and glove box was covered under warranty but I still had to pay $50 for labor.
Total was: $415+tax and I get my car back in couple of days. Did I just get raped with the whole battery thing or is it true?
by computer he means car ECU that controlls and records functions on the car like engine, timing, fuel, radio settings and Etc
u know whats funny replacing and removing the battery resets the ECU and u could have done it urself

and there is no spoecial method to change oil, did they put full synthec at least

Old 09-26-2006, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

I don't know if they started yet, but what **** heads. I think I'm guna go get the car back and do everything myself except the glove box. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-26-2006, 09:06 PM
2nd Gear

I would call them and let them know that after speaking to people a bit more knowledgeable about the subject.....that it occurs to you that you're being somewhat ripped off and you would like to cancel your work order.

The oil change for $90 I MIGHT be able to justify from the dealerships standpoint, but the issue with the battery is unforgiveable.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:18 PM
2nd Gear

Here's a link for an exact replacement from Kragen. There are others out there that may be a bit cheaper, but it just depends where you're shopping and what you want to buy.

2002 A4 3.0 replacement battery

Old 09-26-2006, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

o man no way...thanks for that kragen link, I think im just guna cancel the work order and just put it in myself. Thank you again

Old 09-26-2006, 09:30 PM
4th Gear

Oh yeah, they are trying to bend you over for sure. Most of the Audi dealers do.

Its all DIY as you know now, do it yourself and save big $$$$.

Most of us here are diy'ers and can help you with just about anything.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:22 PM
SoCal Crew Member

yep, get your car back and give them the finger... i almost worked at hoehn, but they dont have any part times and i have too much school, if i worked there i woulda told you to run away

Old 09-26-2006, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

oil change from my dealership is like 45 dollars.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:34 PM
3rd Gear

i had a similar problem on my 01 last week, the battery was dead. went to Sears automotive, and 15 minutes later i have a new battery installed for 80 bucks. oil change price you were quoted is insane. my .02 is you got raped sideways by the stealership.

Quick Reply: Myth about Dealers...I feel violated!