Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter problems!?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:22 PM
1st Gear
Default oil filter problems!?!?!?!?!?

hey guys, i was changing my oil today and i noticed by the oil filter housing unit that there was crusted-up coolant around the coolant tlines that go into this unit. what could be the problem?? how do i know if i need a new oil cooler or something like that becasue i just flushed my coolant and it already is a bit cloudy in color and i think oil may be leaking in it. i know this may sound stupid, i am not a mechanic obviously, but thanks for any suggestions.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Default RE: oil filter problems!?!?!?!?!?

If oil is leaking into your coolant than I would look into a possible blown head gasket.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Site Moderator

Replace the oil cooler before the head gasket. Especially if you have reason to believe its leaking.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

it hasnt leaked yet but i noticed all the crusted coolant surrounding the coolant lines going into the oil cooler, so it may be on its way to start leaking. i found a cooler for about $60, how hard are they to replace??

Old 10-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Site Moderator

Probably not hard, but i have some crusted coolant on the lines out of the oil cooler as well, but i dont have clouded coolant or coolant mixed with oil or anything like that.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

if the coolant is kinda cloudy, can the oil cooler be the cause?

Old 10-29-2006, 12:40 AM
4th Gear

What did you flush the coolant with and what did you fill it with.

The crusting where the lines go into the oil cooler is usually due to poor clamps on the lines going in and out. This would not cause cloudy coolant. The crusting can be removed with a dremel and a wire brush and new clamps will fix the leaks.

I suspect that the cloudiness is may be due to what you flushed or filled your system with. Did you have an issue before you flushed it?

Old 10-29-2006, 08:04 PM
1st Gear

If you have a buildup of coolant on the lines, it's just a sign that you need new hoses and clamps.
When you remove the hoses, there's going to be a big buildup of coolant on the barbs from the oil cooler. You'll need to scrape the dried coolant off the barbs to make sure your new clamps and hoses get a good fit on the barbs.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

my neighbor works at firestone and he flushed it there and i gave him the coolant to fill it with that i got at the audi stealer. i think he flushed it with water. maybe i am crazy, but i was looking at the coolant in my girlfriends vw and its crystal clear, mine is definatley not crystal clear. the previous owner about 40k miles ago had put green antifreeze in it, but i have flushed it several times since then and replaceed both radiator and water pump so i dont think thats the issue.

this is probably a stupid question but if there is oil in the coolant what color would it be or what will it look like? and how likely is it that the oil would be leaking in from the oil cooler?