Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump / Timing Belt / Oil sludge

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Default Oil pump / Timing Belt / Oil sludge

I have a 2000 1.8T which is being serviced right now. I think i'm getting screwed on the labor.

Oil sludge clean up/new pump $1600
new timing belt $1000

Do you have to take off the timing belt to get to the oil pump?

Isn't costliest part of changing the timing belt getting to it in the first place?

Also they told me the oil sludge warranty extension didn't apply to my car. which upon rereading my letter from audi seems like it should.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:15 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Oil pump / Timing Belt / Oil sludge

how many miles does you car have? it might be time to change your timing belt.. and if they are charging that much they should be changing everything (tensioners, water pump, etc) To my understand the oil pump is under the car so you would have to remove the oil pan not the timing belt. I hit a raised sewer hole cover once in my GTI Vr6 and i busted my oil pan once it was looked more closely we kinda noticed we busted the oil pump too

Old 11-11-2005, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

You should raise a big fuss and call Audi and bitch. There have been a few posts about that. If you have had your audi serviced at dealerships for all the regularly scheduled maintainance and have the records to back it up, they should honor the warranty.

Old 11-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: sage22

I have a 2000 1.8T which is being serviced right now. I think i'm getting screwed on the labor.

Oil sludge clean up/new pump $1600
new timing belt $1000

Do you have to take off the timing belt to get to the oil pump?

Isn't costliest part of changing the timing belt getting to it in the first place?

Also they told me the oil sludge warranty extension didn't apply to my car. which upon rereading my letter from audi seems like it should.
My only advice to you would be to either do the work yourself (youll save a CRAP load of $$) or find a Euro shop who specializes in Audi/VW, they wont be cheap either, but deffinately cheaper than the dealer, thats a gurantee.

Old 11-11-2005, 07:06 PM
3rd Gear

That does seem odd that the oil pump replacement costs more than the timing belt. Most of the labor for replacing the timing belt is removal of items to get to belt. Ive never had to change the pump due to oil sludging, only the oil pump pickup. How much of the oil pump is labor and how much is parts? That seems a little high considering once you drop the oil pan everything is right there.

Old 11-12-2005, 02:20 AM
1st Gear

What type of oil have you been using, and on what change interval?

I have heard of others spending about $700 for an oil pan drop, oil pump cleaning or replacement, and engine flushing. The oil pan drop is complicated by the front crossbeam. If you are not yet critically sludged up, you may want to go for an engine flush, followed by a course of Auto-RX.

Old 11-12-2005, 02:22 AM
1st Gear

The sludge warranty is VERY restrictive, since it is not the standard factory new-car warranty and therefore not subject of Magnuson-Moss. For example, if you do your own oil changes, you are NOT covered by the sludge "warranty," even if you keep all of your oil and filter receipts and maintain scrupulous records.