Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok... Those with... B6 GIAC / TIP / Boost Gauge... Help me out

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 03:44 AM
2nd Gear
Default Ok... Those with... B6 GIAC / TIP / Boost Gauge... Help me out

ok... im going to settle this once and for all... what is your peak boost becuase mine is about 14-15 max throughout all gears and it drops back down to 8-9 at the end of each gear... sound familiar??... the guy insists that i have a malfunctioning boost guage? possible my software got like messed up half way though its install?
ive been dealing with it since summer and its starting to get me angry again

Old 11-11-2006, 05:19 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Ok... Those with... B6 GIAC / TIP / Boost Gauge... Help me out

With my Giac X chip I spike 23/24 and hold around 18/19 and settle around 15 by 6k... I have a stock N75... However in 3rd (Passing gear) on the freeway when I gun it I only hit 10??? I doesnt seem to pull that hard, however when I ease into it it pulls pretty nice

Old 11-11-2006, 06:52 PM
2nd Gear

soo thats the thing i have never spiked anywhere near 18...

Old 11-11-2006, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

I got b6 manual and I spike at about 18 and hold 10-12psi. Your boost gauge may be off. It should be reading about 20 vacuum at idle. When I first hooked up the boost gauge it was only reading 15 vacuum at idle and I thought it was off but then I figured out it was a boost leak (bad leaky DV) and when I fixed it gauge read 20 at idle and spiked at 18

Old 11-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: StepUpProductions

soo thats the thing i have never spiked anywhere near 18...
I would find out the name of he GIAC file you have. There are several versions available for every car depending on the year and turbo application. Some work better with others. There are different programs for VW 1.8t compared to an Audi 1.8t by GIAC. Some tuners have a preference of what works best for your car even though it may not be specific for your particualar car. But most tuners only use what is specific... There is aK04 GIAC file specifically for the VW Golf called "E05" which many tuners use for the A4 w/k04, even though there is a different specific K04 GIAC file for the A4. So you may want to go back to the tuner and ask them to try a different file for your setup that has been known to be successful or compatible. I dont think they'd charge you for this other than labor because at least with GIAC, they give your flash/chip a trade in value, like they do when they give you a discount for upgrading to a k04 to get the right file for it. They will just sell your old file to someone else.

Of course you/they might have to completely rule out any boost leaks or other problems than the GIAC file that might cause your problem.

8-12 psi is too low. GIAC and APR use 1bar+chips and 12 psi is like .8 bar.. so anything less would not be right even in high rpms. I can see falling off to 15 or even 14 psi, but the even thought the k03 loses its breath in high rpms, it shouldnt fall on its face like that... Especially if you have a high flow exhaust and or fmic.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear

thanks, thats really helpful... ive been hearing bad things about my local tuner lately so maby il speak to GIAC directly and find another local GIAC dealer and have them help me out... ive pretty much ruled out boost leaks because with the VAG-COM i had my buddy sit in the passanger seat and read me off my BAR boost request leverls and boost output levels and they were pretty equal + or - .01 here and there so... il have to investigate this

Old 11-13-2006, 02:58 AM
2nd Gear

However I my vac goes to like 25... Does that mean I have a boost leak? because I still spike high?? I dont get it.. I know im suppose to be around 15 20 but 25..?

Old 11-13-2006, 03:11 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: socal_A4

However I my vac goes to like 25... Does that mean I have a boost leak? because I still spike high?? I dont get it.. I know im suppose to be around 15 20 but 25..?
15-25 vac is normal. Should be 20-25 when the engine is warmed up at idle or off gas. Spiking is when you are in boost and your psi will spike or jump a few more psi than what you consistantly hold. Vac and Boost are two different things and it sounds like you dont know what the difference is, am i right?