Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original and new FOB

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 05:19 AM
1st Gear
Default Original and new FOB

I posted this on the other audi forum butt no one seems to have an answer so here we go:

Story: I bought my car from a non-audi dealership and it came with only one key and no manual. I gave the dealer 2 sets of FOBs and a Valet key with my 02' Volvo S80 (and a MANUAL!). After talking to the sales manager they agreed to order me another FOB from Audi and a manual. The extra key FINALLY came in today (but no manual) so I went down to pick it up. The service advisor walks up as im pulling up gives me the key and tells me to 'try her out'. The key fits and starts but then quickly stalls. We try it a couple of times then he says "let me call another service mechanic and see if we need to re-program this". Another guy comes over tries it out same thing (im getting nervous because these guys don't know what's going on from what i can tell). So, then they put my key in the ignition and turn it half way and close the door then take the NEW key and put it in the door (door shut) then turns and holds the key all the way right then push and the lock and trunk buttons. They try and start the car, same thing. starts but then stalls. After about 15 mins of trying different combos they finally tell me i need to bring it to Audi and they can do it for me. RAD! So, i get in my car and come home using my original key. When i get out and hit the 'lock' button on my original key nothing happens... I try ALL the buttons; lock, unlock, trunk... NOTHING. I drive back down there and dude asks me to come back Monday after playing around with the key and the door for a couple of minutes because their service department is closing. BTW, Rusnak Audi's service department isn't open on Saturday.... MAN I AM HAVING TERRIBLE LUCK!

I have done the searches for 'Key remote' and 'key fob' and tried to put the key in' half turn the key to the 'on' position and hold the trunk open button down for 15 seconds the let it go and take the key out and tried all the buttons but no go.

With no manual and the suggestions given in a couple threads not working, is there anything i can do to make the original FOB work again or even the new one?

What did they do to 'erase' the memory or function of the original key?

Sorry for this long and most poorly written post im kind of freaking out and just want my keys and remotes to work like the ones i gave them when i traded my car in... Thanks for reading this far and if anyone has any advice or can give me a hand i would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
the saddest panda.... EVER.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:36 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Original and new FOB

here try this with ur orginal key and i hope it works

Old 10-22-2006, 08:25 AM
1st Gear

Once again the mighty Panda, out of all the searches i have done this is the 1st time i have seen this one. I will give it try once day breaks.... Red Dawn style.

Thanks Panda, I hope this works... these dudes have no idea what they are doing when it comes to their 'previously owned' lot. Today i saw them 'test driving' a Boxter after they put a new clutch in her.... sounded awful on the shift.

en-dangerously,
panda

Old 10-22-2006, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Panda,

To reset the remote but no luck. None of the buttons still work. Im so bummed, i went down there to get an extra key and came back with a broken one.

Poop city,

p

Old 10-22-2006, 05:57 PM
1st Gear

wow, I had a crap-load of problems with my keys when i first got my car as well. Only one of them was programmed correctly. When I took it to Audi they said they would need to order an entirely new set and reprogram them. They said the keys I had werent the originals (I have no idea how that could have happened as you cant make duplicate Audi keys unless you get them from Audi themselves) I said screw that, they wanted $245 for new keys and "labor" to reprogram them. I then met up with rogue Audi mechanic who explained to me that there were several key-types (A, B, and possibly C) for A4s from the factory. He ordered three Type B keys for me and reprogrammed them to all work with my car. I had to leave my car with him for him to finish this but at least it works now. Sorry to say, that I think thats the only way to go.

You've already had new keys ordered. I suggest you take all of your keys to a different dealership, one where the people know what they're talking about, and just have them reprogram the keys. I always thought Rusnak would have been one of the best Audi dealers (I'm assuming this is the one in LA), but I guess their service department isnt up-to-par.

Good luck getting this fixed. Let us know what happens.

Old 10-26-2006, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

after all of the hububalub (i made that word up) about Rusnak I must say meeting their service guy this morning and the knowledge and customer service he gave to me was great. I guess we will have to wait and see when he calls me back with the "well, heres what's going on with your car". Like i said in other posts, my check engine light went on had it diagnosed as a converter problem so hopefully they will come up with same problem (it's covered for way longer than their sad 4 year warranty) and it won't cost me a dime to get fixed besides the initial 'diagnostic fees' and the two key F.O.B. problems will be able to be fixed at a minimal cost. The keys work as far as opening and locking the doors but the buttons on one haven't been programmed and my original has been 'erased'. Wish me luch and think great thoughts for when they call me back to tell me what's what with my car.

In the showroom they had a canary yellow rs4 that someone had bought drove for 5k miles then decided he wanted a black one instead... So, if anyone wants a canary yellow rs 4 for way below the cost of a new one then call Rusnak. I wonder how much you lose when you do something like that; buy a car then bring it back after you have 'decided' you want a different color. I mean, i know the car is still expensive as all hell but im sure its way cheaper than buying a new one. Crazy.

Hope everyone is well, i will post again soon,
pandas