Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting lowers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Default RE: painting lowers

OK, sorry for being such a smart*ss!

I'm more convinced that I might be able to do this myself, but the thought of mismatching black paint is scary to me. Maybe I should get over that and just do it. Heck, even slightly "off" black paint would be a helluva improvement over the Subaru-Outback-ish grey lowers!!

Hmmmnnn....

Again, sorry...

Old 11-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Administrator

No sweat man - and paintscratch.com (from my understanding) sends you factory-match paint, so you shouldn't have to worry about a chemical mismatch. However, black paint can fade from sun over time, so there may be that to consider. There's a paintshop here in town that will scan any painted panel (ie, gas filler door) and come up with a chemical mix that matches it perfectly, taking sunfade into account, and can give it to you either in cans to take to a professional shop to spray as they would any paintjob, or they can give it to you in an aerosol spraycan so you can do it yourself. Check your local yellow pages for a paint supply shop like that, and chances are they can do the same thing for you. Then you should get a perfect match, even accounting for any fade in your paint. That should take the worry out of the whole deal.

Old 11-13-2007, 04:32 PM
1st Gear

I'm more convinced that I might be able to do this myself, but the thought of mismatching black paint is scary to me.
Couple things to consider:

-Non Metallic Black is actually a pretty easy color to match. There are usually not many variants.

-I painted my lower running board cover on my TL using paint from:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Which is basically the same as paintscratch (They were my second choice)

-Use Bulldog primer (note: Walmart has been stocking around me for about 1/2 what a lot of places charge for it). It promotes adhesion between the flex parts and the topcoats.

Easy to do, make sure you get all the tar off...