Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE HELP!!!! Multitude or issues

Old 10-20-2018, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Default PLEASE HELP!!!! Multitude or issues

Sorry for the long post. I'll start with my maintenance. I had the rear cam tensioners, timing belt, water pump, and valve cover gasket done. After this I was still experiencing a bad coolant leak...the shop said now it was the thermostat. I had also been having CEL flash upon start up with some missing that would usually clear up within 30 seconds. A few weeks later car completely died and if I tried to start it, it was a complete smokeshow. I thought for sure it was a head gasket....I did some research and took it to a reputable shop. He replaces the thermostat, and said the other shop left a bunch of stuff loose on the turbo and it finally popped off and that's why it stopped running. He said it passed all his leak down/ compression tests and he bore scoped each cylinder and didn't see any cracks.

A few months after that it started leaking coolant again. Started off slow but now I'm putting coolant in every week. Upon start up the CEL flashes and there is a LOT of white smoke, smells like coolant. When I say a lot I mean it fills a driveway or parking lot. My CEL reads cylinder 2 misfire. Was messing around with spark plugs the other day and found coolant in number 2...so It is pretty obvious to me the head gasket needs replaced or the head is cracked.

Now a few months ago, the oil warning came on, but I wasn't low on oil, I added a tiny bit and it went off. Just yesterday it has hard time turning over, like it doesn't even try...almost like my clutch isn't engaging...then when it starts there is a knock for a few minutes. Also sometimes a squeal when it's cold. I don't even know where to start

i forgot to add that it never overheats...and the heater does work after the car warms up. 2004 Audi A4 1.8T

Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 AM
2nd Gear

Coolant in a cylinder is bad as that is mixing with oil and spreading through the engine. I would think head gasket as well or worse a warped head. Your oil warning could be popping on as the coolant is thinning out the oil. Have you check if coolant is getting into the oil as well? Hard starting is hard to determine. Was the battery low causing the slow crank or is there another issue. Going back to the coolant leak it could be another issue caused by the leak. The squeal most likely is coming from the serpentine belt. Might be a little loss and at start up it squeals. Need to get it to a shop to determine the leak issue before going any further with it.