Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it possible to add remote start to factory key fob?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:34 PM
1st Gear
Default is it possible to add remote start to factory key fob?

Ok so I'm incredibly adamant against doing a remote start because I don't want to carry another fob other than my Audi key/fob thingy...but at the same time I want a remote start. I'd go so far as to get a VAG-COM just so I could program a (-) trigger wire that could activate a remote start. Essentially, if I can get the remote, on my command, to produce either a (+) or a (-) inside the car, I can activate the remstart, as the units I deal with on a daily basis have an input trigger wire. It'd be a dream if there was one wire that controlled panic in the car, because then I could just cut it and wire it to a relay and I'd be done...

So anyone done this or heard of it being done?

oh and btw, it's a 1999.5 Audi A4 1.8tq

Old 11-12-2006, 12:17 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: is it possible to add remote start to factory key fob?

doubtful unless you can get a 4 button fob to work and control the remote start. That means it has to be on the same frequency as the Remote Start. Sounds hard to me. You could do it with another cell phone, but that would mean youd need another plan and seperate number. Its a pretty cool thing, but its a pain in the ***.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:00 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: A4nicator

doubtful unless you can get a 4 button fob to work and control the remote start. That means it has to be on the same frequency as the Remote Start. Sounds hard to me. You could do it with another cell phone, but that would mean youd need another plan and seperate number. Its a pretty cool thing, but its a pain in the ***.

Actually, no...you see, Directed remote starts have an input wire on the brain to activate the remote start. So all I need to find is a wire in the vehicle I can activate via the factory fob that can trip a relay and tell the brain to remote start. As far as the factory fob goes, it won't think it's doing anything different, and once the wire turns on, the remote start does the rest.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: initialdtm

ORIGINAL: A4nicator

Actually, no...you see, Directed remote starts have an input wire on the brain to activate the remote start. So all I need to find is a wire in the vehicle I can activate via the factory fob that can trip a relay and tell the brain to remote start. As far as the factory fob goes, it won't think it's doing anything different, and once the wire turns on, the remote start does the rest.
Then get a wiring schematic and find that wire. Keep us posted on how it works.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:56 PM
5th Gear

i see another DIY mod in the making here if u find a way defintely let us know. i would love to have a remote start with the factory key fob

Old 11-12-2006, 03:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: chaos92287

i see another DIY mod in the making here if u find a way defintely let us know. i would love to have a remote start with the factory key fob
Definately, someone just needs to hook him up with a schematic.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:30 PM
4th Gear

I put in a vehicle info request on another forum that im on so hopefully it will be here for you soon.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:39 PM
3rd Gear

is a B5 can run without original key ? is there a password or somehitng on our keys ? is yes, car will crank but will not start without the key in ignition.

Old 11-12-2006, 04:46 PM
4th Gear

i was thinking about this last week... i figured you could somehow just get the three button remote (if your car came with the two) and somehow program the trunk button to start it... it didnt interest me enough to follow up or try it, but if someone figures it out then i want it too

Old 11-12-2006, 04:49 PM
5th Gear

i was under the impression that the 3 button one wouldn't work with my car. someone told me in one of the key fob programming threads that the 3 button one sometimes dont even work with our cars and suggested just getting the 2 button one. i wonder how this'll turn out

Quick Reply: is it possible to add remote start to factory key fob?