Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: Is there a corellation between RPMs and alternator output

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 06:39 AM
1st Gear
Default Question: Is there a corellation between RPMs and alternator output

I'm not a car guy so I'm trying to get some more info on this problem I'm trying to fix.

I am trying to figure out if running the engine at high RPMs causes a higher voltage or current output from the alternator.

I just came back from a cruise to Whistler and I was having fun testing out the capabilites of my new K04 setup and I even bounced off the rev limiter for the first time. When I got home I checked my city LEDs and as I expected both of them failed.

There some portions of the electrical system in our cars are not regulated... and I am guessing one of them is our headlights. A halogen bulb is not a susceptible to voltage/current spikes as the filament can absorb the excess energy... a LED cannot.

I have thought that a current limiting resistor may need to be added into the circuit to protect the LED bulb but I am not sure if my premise of "high RPMs = higher voltage/current spikes"

So am I on the right path? Or is my reasoning flawed?

TIA for any information and opinons.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:45 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Question: Is there a corellation between RPMs and alternator output

To my understanding the voltage regulator prevents spikes from high RPMs.