Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio removal problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Radio removal problem

I bought a 2004 Audi A4 with Symphony II radio, and decided to install an iPod interface into it. Bought the interface, then bought 4 radio removal keys on eBay (they look exactly like on the picture I attached).

Put them in, heard a click on the top-right key, but no click on the other 3. In addition to that all of the keys do come out when I try to pull them (they're not loose, but do come out without much effort) and the radio will not even budge. I've read through some radio removal threads here and only found 1 with similar case to mine (the guy was told that he'd need to take apart his dashboard). However, I'm confused why one of my keys clicks yet still I can pull it out, others here said that the only way to get the key out after it clicks is after taking the radio out and releasing the lock on the side. At first I thought that the guy on eBay sold me low-quality keys that don't hook right. I went online and found pictures of genuine Audi keys (they had slightly different shape for the tip). So using a sheet of metal from my old PC, shears, and an eBay key to get the proportions, I reconstructed a key with the same tip as the genuine one I saw online. I tried it out in my car, and I'm getting the exact same result with it as with the eBay keys (it clicks into top-right slot (and pulls out of there without the side-lock release), but not the other three).

I'm really desperate now and willing to resolve to dashboard removal (if I can find a guide that explains it without destroying anything), or anything else (aside from coming to the dealer and paying them a small fortune). Someone recommended messing around with coat hangers but I'm completely out of ideas on what funky shapes I should make from them before trying to stick them into the slots.

Attached Images  

Last edited by R3N3G4D3; 08-14-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:18 AM
1st Gear

Ok, turns out the keys go further than I expected. Got my radio out once I put them all the way in. I thought once they started making the scratching noise (they're cheap keys) and became harder to push in I was past the point of click, apparently I wasn't. Now I'm confused on what to ground it to. Symphony 2 does not seem to have a ground running to it. Can I just tape the ground wire from the iPod interface (IceLink) to the metal box that the radio sits in? I'm assuming it touches the rest of the car frame, does it?